Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Wide band kits

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2012, 03:09 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide band kits

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a wideband kit for my jdm blob, can anybody give me some info on them please.

Does it go in place of the existing lambada or does it run along side it? Does it plug in to the car loom or do you have to patch in to the existing wires going to ecu or is none of that needed?

I'm just a little confused how it all works tbh, and just wanting to keep an eye on afr's.

I'm currently running standard ecu but may upgrade to Alcatek further down the line so do I have to consider this?

Sorry if I seem a little thick just don't want to be buying something that's not right or is missing something etc etc so any recommendations are welcome, I have been looking at either AEM UEGO or the INNOVATE MTX-L if it helps, I've read a couple of threads I found but none that really helped what I'm looking for

Cheers in advance

Craig
Old 14 November 2012, 05:10 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got an Innovate LC-1 with gauge in mine, I had an extra boss put in the downpipe for it as to leave the OEM sensor alone, I was told it can be removed but got mixed info from different sources on this so i decided to add a new one.

With mine it can be wired to the ECU for data logging etc but not got round to that bit yet, So it is wired like a normal gauge into the cars electrics not the ECU`s, Here`s a pic for you, (Top right gauge) They match the JDM cluster pretty well too

Old 14 November 2012, 07:53 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Cheers gaz, that's a good match fair play

So your standard one is still in place doing its job and the wideband is added to the exhaust separate? This is where I'm confused as I was told it replaces my standard one and the ecu would use the new sensor, and that the display is fed from the ecu which is why I asked about the wiring lol, as I read it has 2 wires for logging brown and yellow I think?if you wanted to use that facility but doesnt mention any other wiring to the ecu, and the other 3 are switched live, earth and headlight switch for dimming if wanted, so what goes in to the display to tell it what the afr is? Is there something that goes straight to the lambada from it or does it go to the ecu? Can you see why I'm getting confused
Old 14 November 2012, 09:07 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes standard still in place and i added the innovate.

The LC-1 has its own ecu/controller, The new sensor from the wideband kit goes into the downpipe and then it connects to the controller, The wires then come off the controller on the other side for live,earth and the gauge and go in to the cars loom, It also has inputs for logging cables which are supplied with logworks 3 software, I think i paid around £125 for the whole kit and £20 for getting the exhaust drilled and boss welded in.

Kit comes like this

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 14 November 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:17 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Craig

If you will be going with any wideband(AEM or LC,Innovate,PLX),this wideband should be have own controller and should be no problem later on use as wideband too on the AlcaTek(just hope so you are don't mind waiting few weeks/months!)

For plugging to ECU i'm not sure,speak to the TimH or SimTek/AlcaTek dealers which should help you too

Jura
Old 14 November 2012, 09:41 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Ahhhhhhh I follow now

So it has its own control unit makes sense now, so quite simple really, that's what I must have read as the MTX-L innovite is slightly different to the LC1 and cheers for the info regarding the ecu Jura makes sense now I know how it works

Cheers for the info guys its been another lesson learnt

On another note, where did you get your kit gaz as they all around the £150 mark from what I can find, not a great difference I know but as they say " every little helps "
Old 14 November 2012, 09:57 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Craig

Just search on the eBay for best deal on the Innovate or AEM,we are sold our AEM few months back

About the SimTek/AlcaTek speak to the dealers or your mapper,they should help you without the problem

Jura