Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

quick response needed.

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2012, 04:09 PM
vandavieboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick response needed.

my exhaust snapped in half at the resonator 2 weeks ago and the engine management light came on less than 30 days after me buying the car. took it to the garage who have "repaired it" by using what looks like exhaust paste.
seems fine just now however i have now got squeeking noises coming from the rear suspension area and a king of grinding/ticking noise from the front when i am turning a corner.
first question. the em light is out but the car seems very slow- is it possible they have just turned out the light and not reset it thus causing the ecu to think there is still a problem and causing the car to be in a kind of limp mode?
and second question what could the other possible problems im having be ?

the car is going into the garage at 6pm tonight and being left there untill causes are found but id like to have a few possible ideas of what could be the problems before the start to hit me off with a load of rubbish...ie bearings,droplinks etc..

btw its an 03 wrx

thanks in advance for any replies.

Davie.

Last edited by vandavieboy; 17 October 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 17 October 2012, 05:53 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

It is possible that the light has been put out And not done an ecu reset ,,though if they had put the light out , I would ask what was the cel code and how did they remove it ?
The noise from the front sounds like cv joints,, but if the noise came after the exhaust problem its possible the exhaust has been messed with and the down pipe is catching on the steering uj or the turbo heatshield )
And if the rear noise came after the exhaust fix i would hazard a guess the exhaust is rubbing somewhere and not fitted correctly

Last edited by toneh; 17 October 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 17 October 2012, 05:54 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one word

BODGE
Old 17 October 2012, 06:04 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
one word

BODGE
That's not much help is it ,you're just bitter because you didn't get you're mits on the plough
Old 18 October 2012, 03:52 PM
vandavieboy
Scooby Regular

agree with you tommy . bodge job it seems however i was looking for a more in depth offering of possible solutions to the problems ive had with the car haha. also toneh . whats the steering uj ?
thanks guys.
Old 18 October 2012, 04:16 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Steering universal joint matey attaches the steering rack to the column, as suggested if these noises have only come since the exhaust problem then it's more than likely the exhaust is rubbing/catching some where, as for the repair on the exhaust sounds as if its going to last 5 mins, if its not to rusty then it should be removed and welded together properly, if your lucky it might have snapped off leaving enough pipe to fit a quick coupling over the split.
Old 18 October 2012, 04:38 PM
vandavieboy
Scooby Regular

cheers mate. yeh it all started after the exhaust problem was "fixed". it completely snapped on the edge of the resonator so tbh theres no way they could have welded it. i was fully expecting a new centre section to be on it but as far as i can see from looking under the car (no access to a ramp) all they have done is kindo of 'glued' it together with some form of exhaust paste..
Old 18 October 2012, 04:50 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Change it matey,it will no doubt be leaking or start to leak in the near future, plus your exhaust allignment will be all over the place, if you can get access to a ramp or even a high kerb, grab your self a second hand section and swap it over 10 min job if that and hopefully your new noises will be eliminated at the same time
Old 19 October 2012, 05:00 PM
vandavieboy
Scooby Regular

thanks mate. appreciate it.