Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Coolant everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2012, 05:59 PM
charliebaja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant everywhere

Its me again!

So I return today with an issue from the beloved car that I have only had for a weekend.

So the issue today is coolant has sprayed all over the engine and around the fan and top of the radiator. Now the car runs at a normal temp, just above quarter so there isn't an issue there. So where is this coming from?
I am sure no one can tell me without seeing the car, but it could be several places, lower hose has popped off, or if there is a small hole in the rad or pipe.

When I checked the car at lunch today water was everywhere, but still water in the rad, overflow tank and pressure reservoir. But when I got home the water had all dried up everywhere and there is still water in the right places.

Perhaps what I am asking here is if any one has had similar issues.
Not sure if anyone can help but I wanted to just ask!
Old 04 September 2012, 06:47 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

The rads can split on the plastic sides. Mine did and there was a white residue where it had dried. How old is the car?
Old 04 September 2012, 06:57 PM
Badger_88
Scooby Regular

Have you tried looking for the leak with the engine running and up to temp?
Old 05 September 2012, 12:32 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

It will most likely be the end cap(s) on the rad leaking under pressure (tiny pinhole), run the car up to temp and rev from under the bonnet, you should then be able to see the leak. As said above dries to a white dusty residue.
Old 05 September 2012, 07:40 PM
charliebaja
Scooby Newbie

Well I looked this evening, when it was cold and as I undid the cap and noticed there was hardly any water in the top of the radiator, I saw that water was starting to run out along the top from what looked like under the top hose. I will have to investigate tomorrow as I am unable to get out of the house this evening!
Old 05 September 2012, 10:33 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Check that the top hose jubilee clip is nice and tight and that the pipe is properly seated.

I had this problem a while back and once the engine was up to temperature, coolant was escaping from the underside of the union and dripping on to the engine where it pooled.

The radiators are known to split so could be that too as already mentioned.
Old 05 September 2012, 10:36 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by charliebaja
Well I looked this evening, when it was cold and as I undid the cap and noticed there was hardly any water in the top of the radiator, I saw that water was starting to run out along the top from what looked like under the top hose. I will have to investigate tomorrow as I am unable to get out of the house this evening!
Missed this post somehow.... sounds very similar to the issue I had. Could be that the top hose has perished and has a small hole where it sits over the union and thus only leaks under pressure. Might be worth replacing the top hose and jubilee clips as a precaution - only £20 or so from Import Car Parts.

Last edited by Gigsy; 05 September 2012 at 10:37 PM.