Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Turbo Dynamics (ESL)

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2018, 08:44 AM
hamzi95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Dynamics (ESL)

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 08.26.49.png
Views: 0
Size:  20.8 KB
From my understanding this is Target Boost- Actual Boost and that answer is the margin of error you place in these fields However im not sure what the different 'steps' represent eg '0.20, 0.12, 0.05,0.2'. Do they correlate to engine load?
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 08.27.03.png
Size:  16.9 KB
I believe this has got to do with having the pedal pressed, but not WOT, to my understanding this is the table in which, if you are continuously under-boosting (undershooting targets) you will gain X in each of the 'steps'
Again, like above, im not sure what each of these steps represent. im assuming a PSI gain?
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 08.27.14.png
Size:  16.7 KB
Like above but the 'Burst' criteria is met when mashing the pedal to WOT
Again, like above, im not sure what each of these steps represent. im assuming a PSI gain?
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 08.27.22.png
Size:  16.9 KB
Really not sure how this parameter works tbh. a continuous over-boost gain would be counterproductive in hind site, i really need clarification on this one!
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 08.27.32.png
Size:  17.2 KB
Really not sure how this parameter works tbh. a burse over-boost gain would be counterproductive in hind site, i really need clarification on this one!

i have read this article:
http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1814.html

cant really see how, other than boost error, the fields correlate to ESL turbo dynamics!

All help is greatly appreciated.

TLR
I need to know if my understanding of the above parameters is correct.
I need to know in which scenarios would you modify each of the above parameters.
I need to know what the 'steps' represent and what each steps value represents i.e psi, engine load etc...
Old 26 June 2018, 10:38 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My assumption (and it is very much an assumption) was that the first table represents the boundaries that determine which cell is selected from each of the other tables, depending on how far from target boost you are.

As far as the other tables go, I assumed that they defined adjustments which are then applied to the wastegate duty cycles, and the particular cell selected is determined by the deviation from target boost, as specified in the first table.

Like I said though - this is all purely assumption, possibly based on something I've read somewhere, but I've no idea where (probably romraider, too).
Old 27 June 2018, 09:35 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

boost error is the difference between target boost and current manifold pressure, turbo dynamics values are applied to the current wastegate duty (starting at the initial value) until either target boost is achieved (boost error is zero) or the wastegate duty MAX value is reached.

You shouldn't have to mess with it at all if your having boost control issues it's more likely to be a mechanical fault somewhere or your asking for impossible things.
Old 27 June 2018, 09:45 AM
hamzi95
Scooby Regular

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/fmic-vs-tmic/

Trying to use this philosophy to get good spool in low gears.

However in 5/4thth on the motorway even quarter throttle i can feel me over boosting.

if i set my min wg duty to stock (45 ish) and then my max to 100 in lets say 3.1k field.

Ill get real nice boost in gear 3 however gear 1 and 2 will take a noticeable hit because the actual wg duty ends up being like 55%

so if im correct i have to modify the continuous overboost gains to the % of value required in the particular value fiel of min wg duty ?

OR

I can do the opposite, smooth out min wastegate duties but apply a higher burst value to burst underboost gains ?

OR

apply higher values for boost error (eg. modify it the table to comply with a higher target boost and the harder overboosts due to high min and max wg duty.

OR

Shoot for lower boost in lower gears, but in that load section, bump up ignition timing to make up for the loss o tq!

Last edited by hamzi95; 27 June 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:29 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

OK so trying to beat physics then, the reality of it is your unlikely to achieve full boost in lower gears and still have it hold steady in higher gears as you don't have a per gear compensation to apply. Set the boost for 3rd or 4th gear and adjust afr/timing for the load you reach in lower gears is the way to go. Alternatively you could fit an external boost controller that has a speed signal coming into it (likes of an AVCR) and have it bump the WGDC in lower speeds to achieve target.

Turbo dynamics won't respond fast enough to give you target boost in 1st/2nd and not overshoot when you hit 3rd/4th gear.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:05 PM
hamzi95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
OK so trying to beat physics then, the reality of it is your unlikely to achieve full boost in lower gears and still have it hold steady in higher gears as you don't have a per gear compensation to apply. Set the boost for 3rd or 4th gear and adjust afr/timing for the load you reach in lower gears is the way to go. Alternatively you could fit an external boost controller that has a speed signal coming into it (likes of an AVCR) and have it bump the WGDC in lower speeds to achieve target.

Turbo dynamics won't respond fast enough to give you target boost in 1st/2nd and not overshoot when you hit 3rd/4th gear.
Dont mean full boost in gear 1/2 just as much as i can get!

Yeh i will make my wg duties more mild, but i will try and compensate with burst underboost gains.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:17 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

but the burst can't go any higher than the MAX value - which you need to control overboost in the higher gears.
Old 27 June 2018, 12:40 PM
hamzi95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
but the burst can't go any higher than the MAX value - which you need to control overboost in the higher gears.
ill leave the TD tables as is, and then focus on refining my max and min wg duty to get the best possbile spool in lower gears and no higher than 1.4bar boost in 5th etc.
Old 27 June 2018, 08:56 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah , bludgod knows all too well from my ramblings and bothering him on how much time it takes to achieve what you want , it's taken me a long time to get my car to give good boost lowbdown but also not overboost !