Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Remapping my wrx advice

Old 02 February 2018, 05:46 AM
neil scooby wag
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapping my wrx advice

Hi guys. I’m a newbie so hope I’m doing everything right here. Sooo,.. here goes. I recently bought a wrx blobeye wagon. With a few mods. Mainly to suspension and brakes. But after having it a few days and swearing I would leave it well alone , the cats and prodrive backbox had to come off to be replaced with decat stainless 3” cobra system. I put a cone filter on it’s already got a forge dv. And now I’m looking to get some bigger injectors. And a walbro 255. The difference already with just the induction and decatted system is amazing. I have sti decat up pipe to be fitted. But. The car. To my knowledge has never been remapped. Do I need to get it remapped to just run the decat and induction kit set up ?? Or will I be ok waiting for the fuel pump and injectors?? As long as I keep the revs down. Couple of weeks it should be ready to be mapped. Is my car likely to go bang guys. And I’m aiming for around 320 Bhp eventually. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02 February 2018, 06:30 AM
asht88
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The injectors will be fine, if it’s the tdo4 turbo.

Yeah should be ok to drive. You won’t get 320 out the tdo4

Fit the up pipe and get it mapped, transforms the car nicely just had mine mapped with similar mods
Old 02 February 2018, 07:08 AM
neil scooby wag
Scooby Newbie

Default #remap.

Thanks for the fast reply buddy. Really appreciated. So I should be ok to drive the car fairly moderately until I can afford the remap. It’s just everything has all come along st the wrong time. I get married April so my budget is drastic. Lol. But eventually I just want a set of pink injectors next. And a walbro. And run it on the td04 for a while so funds can build back up. So the plan is to add injectors and walbro to the current mods. And a remap. Save some more money. Acquire a vf30 and an sti tmic. And then another remap.do you that’s ok. ?? Regards.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:38 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You'd be much better off fitting everything at once. Otherwise you are paying duplicate labour and mapping costs. Fitting the decat will cause the turbo to spin more freely and you'll encounter boost spikes and potential lean running if the ECU has not been remapped to account for this. You also won't be making much use of the decat without a remap. The cone filter and DV will just be adding noise and most probably costing you a few BHP.

Fit the Up-pipe and Fuel pump and get it remapped as soon as you can afford to.
Old 06 February 2018, 03:41 AM
neil scooby wag
Scooby Newbie

Default Remapping my wrx advice reply to technopug.

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
You'd be much better off fitting everything at once. Otherwise you are paying duplicate labour and mapping costs. Fitting the decat will cause the turbo to spin more freely and you'll encounter boost spikes and potential lean running if the ECU has not been remapped to account for this. You also won't be making much use of the decat without a remap. The cone filter and DV will just be adding noise and most probably costing you a few BHP.

Fit the Up-pipe and Fuel pump and get it remapped as soon as you can afford to.
thanks technopug. You sound like you really know your stuff pal. Crikey I wouldn’t mind half of your knowledge. I’ve been working on cars for like,..35 years,. But I’m old school. Lol. Distributors and carburettors. So this turbos and remapping loses me. Lol. I’m really grateful for the advice buddy. I will take the slot they have for me Thursday. Two days away. And get it mapped. By then I hope to have the up pipe fitted. Thanks again pal.
Old 06 February 2018, 06:38 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It's all the same principle as NA engines. By allowing the exhaust to exit more freely, more air can enter the inlet earlier. So you need to adjust the fueling and ignition but rather than a dizzy and carb, you need to alter the ECU values.
Old 14 February 2018, 03:43 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default What to do for 320 bhp on a WRX

Put the factory Standard air intake back on.
I agree with Technoplug , Cone Filter is a waste of time that just makes noise.

On a WRX the Standard air box does a better job than any after market item unless you change for a bigger Turbo. In fact if you have not mapped yet , Id do it for safety sake as the flow character of the std System is crucial to the mass air flow, from which the ECU establishes the Timing it can safely use without leaning out the mixture. As you already have the decat exhaust and plan to fit decat uppipe you will make much more flow and start to get to a point where knock (pre ignition) can occur, especially if you get a lower octan in the fuel tank. You may not notice the knock , but the knock sensor will and it will send info to the ECU and it will start to pull Timing back in turn you will feel this as a loss of power or even some jerky stuturing. If you drive the car under power for longer in this state you probably will damage your engine. (Piston damage ring land then big ends most of us on here have seen this )

Make all your modifcations and drive to the mapper avoiding unnessary use of boost and you will be fine. If you have a long way to go , you might consider fitting the injectors on site , as you will tend to over fuel with Sti Pinks ( 550 cc versus 440cc for light blues ). But as advised already you don't need them at all with the TD04 Turbo. You do need them if you use a bigger Turbo, For 320 bhp you need one. If you are on a tight Budget id suggest a TD05 16G if you can go for a VF32 or VF34 these are available on second Hand market. Together with the other mods you already listed with a good Map tune you might make 340-350 bhp
Old 14 February 2018, 04:14 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have recently gone through this process on my WRX wagon, but had already seen the advice to do it all in one go. I spent quite a while gathering bits and then got them all fitted together, along with the necessary remap. If cash is short, you can gather the bits gradually (max cost of any individual bits below was the turbo, £350ish), and if you can fit stuff yourself you will save on labour, before getting it mapped to take advantage of all the new stuff. If you drive to the mapper off-boost you'll probably be fine.

Still waiting on the power/torque plot from my mapper but he reckons it's making around 330 bhp. I have kept the standard airbox but did change to a Green filter.

STI pink injectors
Uprated fuel pump
STI TMIC
STI manifold
Harvey decat up-pipe
STI PPP sports cat downpipe
VF35 turbo
STI scoop + undertray (I'll fit this myself next week)

And before everyone says 'should have just bought an STI' - it's a wagon!

I don't want to add up how much it all cost, and perhaps you don't need all these things to get to 320ish, but I wanted to do it once and do it right.

Will find out the difference at Silverstone in a couple of weeks!
Old 14 February 2018, 08:11 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by boggissimo

And before everyone says 'should have just bought an STI' - it's a wagon!
should have bought an sti wagon
Old 14 February 2018, 10:08 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
should have bought an sti wagon
Show me any available in the UK and I might
Old 15 February 2018, 08:24 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Neil , Thursday 8th was Mapping Day , Did you get that up pipe fitted ?

I'm sure you will already have experienced what a pig it is to get the Up-pipe out. If by any chance you are still sweating on it. It does help if you loosen off the exhaust manifold nuts , it gives you just enough wiggle room to drop the uppipe down and out. If you can it is the best time to heat shield wrap it , and the Turbo , this reduces the heat soak effect to the intercooler.