Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Just picked up a tuned classic! Help with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2017, 06:28 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up a tuned classic! Help with exhaust

Hi all! This is my first post so be cool

I just picked up a JDM classic that's mapped and decatted. The problem I have is that is't too damn loud... I don't mean be wet, but it's a nicely looked after car, but it has a 3" all the way, no cat and a 5" exit, and it's loud as fookery.

I want to quieten it down... It's a JDM 94 model so it doesn't need a cat, but I'd rather have one, and I want to quieten it down as it's a bit too lairy. Right now it's mapped for 310bhp by Duncan Graham @ Racedynamics UK.

My question is, what options do I have for exhausts / cats that won't be as loud? and if I change anything, is there anything I can do that won't require a remap? I like the mower and setup as it is, and was hoping to keep it.

Bonus question: what is the model designation for the "classic"? Is there a number or code for it? Forgive me, I'm super new and more of a Nissan guy...

Thanks!
Old 27 May 2017, 06:40 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a center section that has the resonator in the middle, it takes a lot of the noise out.

My 95 classic WRX had a 3" exhaust with a 5" angled backbox when I got it, that had a resonated center section and it sounded nice, trouble was it was full of holes.

Next exhaust was a 2.5" with no resonated center and that was pretty loud and really droned on long journeys.

Latest exhaust is 2.5" again with resonated center, best of both worlds.

Have you thought about getting a bung?
Old 27 May 2017, 07:14 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pross
Find a center section that has the resonator in the middle, it takes a lot of the noise out.

My 95 classic WRX had a 3" exhaust with a 5" angled backbox when I got it, that had a resonated center section and it sounded nice, trouble was it was full of holes.

Next exhaust was a 2.5" with no resonated center and that was pretty loud and really droned on long journeys.

Latest exhaust is 2.5" again with resonated center, best of both worlds.

Have you thought about getting a bung?
These are good ideas Happy to try whatever really, as I feel like an ******* driving around as it is xD

If I were to go for a 2.5" with associated resonators, should I be remapping for it?
Old 27 May 2017, 08:41 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running the jetex/revolution system without any cats and it is quiet compared to most. Also had a cobra track day friendly cat back before and that was quiet too.
Old 27 May 2017, 09:07 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above , I'm running a jetex system (3 inch ) decat . £370 or about that for centre and backbox. Perfect and not too loud

Maz
Old 28 May 2017, 12:51 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys. If I were to change to one of these systems, would I require a remap?
Old 28 May 2017, 02:11 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a 3" exhaust, ninja sports cat and a power flow non resonated centre and back box with 3" exit pipe. Sounds nice and not to loud.

If you fit a sports cat will need a remap. Does it have a ESL daughter board?
Old 28 May 2017, 06:42 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

I got told it has an ALS ECU
Old 28 May 2017, 09:15 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leepers
I got told it has an ALS ECU
Never heard of that one.

Just so you know, the old classics cant be just mapped. You need either a daughter board fitted inside the ecu ( ESL for example ), or a complete custom ecu, like simtek, alkatek or sysvecs.

There is a chip slot inside the ecu where you could fit custom chips that changed the boost pressure, but they are generic and cannot be mapped.

If you are unsure take 10 mins to remove the carpet and kickplate on passenger side, unplug the ecu and have a quick check inside. Just take a pic of the contents and post here to get any info you need.
Old 28 May 2017, 11:26 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pross
Never heard of that one.

Just so you know, the old classics cant be just mapped. You need either a daughter board fitted inside the ecu ( ESL for example ), or a complete custom ecu, like simtek, alkatek or sysvecs.

There is a chip slot inside the ecu where you could fit custom chips that changed the boost pressure, but they are generic and cannot be mapped.

If you are unsure take 10 mins to remove the carpet and kickplate on passenger side, unplug the ecu and have a quick check inside. Just take a pic of the contents and post here to get any info you need.
Ah ok, it's good to know that then, because I thought it was something like ALS... I will grab a pic and post it.
Old 01 June 2017, 06:17 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

I found about about the ECU, it's an ESL board.

https://goo.gl/photos/F6TDnCjwRzgJg8Fc7
https://goo.gl/photos/4y9gTQZTRxhR2FQ29

Interesting bunch of features on these. Be cool to have switchable maps! Is it possible to interface and tinker with this with a cheap cable? Or do I have to buy the cable direct from them at £175?

Last edited by Leepers; 16 September 2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01 June 2017, 06:57 PM
B9SLJ
Scooby Regular

I'v got 3" from turbo Jetex /revolution straight through no cats just backbox and it's quiet cruising and low revs but sounds nice on full chat
Old 01 June 2017, 11:24 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Thats an ESL board bud, you will have 2 maps on that ECU.

Originally Posted by Leepers
I found about about the ECU, it's an ELS board.

https://goo.gl/photos/F6TDnCjwRzgJg8Fc7
https://goo.gl/photos/4y9gTQZTRxhR2FQ29

Interesting bunch of features on these. Be cool to have switchable maps! Is it possible to interface and tinker with this with a cheap cable? Or do I have to buy the cable direct from them at £175?