Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

A F R gauges ...

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2016, 12:27 AM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A F R gauges ...

hi chaps , are or would you say afr gauges are more for mappers? have been very close to buying one , but just cant see the idea for your average Scooby driver? apart from using it as an eco meter ? and looking pretty what benefits does it infact give?
steve.
Old 05 November 2016, 12:32 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Not worth bothering with. Oil pressure, oil temp and boost pressure are the 3 to have. Knock link Isn't a bad punt either.
Old 05 November 2016, 12:44 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

id disagree, depends on the tune of your car and what mods, i have an AFR gauge on all the time, if i didnt, i wouldnt of known i was lean and it was that causing my previous issues of low down bogging

each to their own of course
Old 05 November 2016, 10:38 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I was running 460 on my V3 STI which I recently sold with an Innovit AFR gauge fitted. Very usefull on a highly modified car but you need to understand what you are looking at, I always checked mine but they need recalibrating now and then which takes 5 minutes. A good knock link like a KS3 is also a must and more important than an AFR in my opinion.
Old 06 November 2016, 11:23 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

interesting that , think the defi range is massively priced very pretty though. don't see the point in leaving 800 quid sitting on your dash while your at work, could attract the wrong attention I guess. yes I think oil pressure and temp is prob the best. I have the prosport boost stepper mechanical , scoobyworld visit mab.??
Old 07 November 2016, 08:38 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
id disagree, depends on the tune of your car and what mods, i have an AFR gauge on all the time, if i didnt, i wouldnt of known i was lean and it was that causing my previous issues of low down bogging

each to their own of course
AFR is too quick to react to.

And more to the point why was your car lean? modded without map? self map? etc etc
Old 07 November 2016, 02:38 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To quick to react to ? No way ! Without my AFR gauge running all the time , which I lurve , along with my boost , oil pressure , oil temp and air temp gauge , my tune would be crap

Mine was lean as the Maf scaling was wrong low down , if I didn't have the AFR gauge I probably wouldn't of noticed as much , would put it down to car being cold etc , but seeing it go to 19 or 20 wasn't cool .

All sorted now , all hail innovate AFR gauge ha

Trending Topics

Old 07 November 2016, 03:04 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I also run an AFR gauge,the reaction time is spot on and it's pretty
Wouldn't be without it to be honest.
Old 07 November 2016, 03:36 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
To quick to react to ? No way ! Without my AFR gauge running all the time , which I lurve , along with my boost , oil pressure , oil temp and air temp gauge , my tune would be crap

Mine was lean as the Maf scaling was wrong low down , if I didn't have the AFR gauge I probably wouldn't of noticed as much , would put it down to car being cold etc , but seeing it go to 19 or 20 wasn't cool .

All sorted now , all hail innovate AFR gauge ha
So your setup was wrong?
Old 07 November 2016, 04:15 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Isn't any setup 'wrong' when you start tuning/remapping?
Unless your really really really good and get it right first time
Old 07 November 2016, 04:30 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Ah now it more makes sense. I thought you ment day to day to spot a sudden change.
Old 07 November 2016, 04:55 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFR and fuelmpressure are the 2 most overlooked gauges out there, I saved an engine once as I could tell my fuel pump was leaning out on boost so the AFR's were higher than they should have been, new fuel pump and all sorted...but what would have happened if I hadn't noticed for the sake of a £150 gauge :-/

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 07 November 2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07 November 2016, 05:05 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
AFR and fuelmpressure are the 2 most overlooked gauges out there, I saved an engine once as I could tell my fuel pump was leaning out on boost so the AFR's were higher than they should have been, new fuel pump and all sorted...but what would have happened if I hadn't noticed for the sake of a £150 gauge :-/
^^^this
AFR gauge can spot many problems.

Last edited by ossett2k2; 07 November 2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12 November 2016, 08:09 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I've got AFR, exhaust temp, fuel pressure and boost all displayed on one unit using a Zeitronix ZT-2. On top of that it monitors throttle position and RPM as well, the logs are great to work with. Worth every penny. I self map so it's extremely valuable to me. I have a knocklink as well and will be adding oil pressure/temp once I change to my forged engine.