Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

PPP + additional map

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2016, 12:18 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP + additional map

I've recently purchased a WRX wagon that has the PPP package + plus an additional map (I think) so I'm wondering what would the boost setting be roughly?

There's a boost gauge and it's boosting to roughly 1.3-1.5bar.....does that sound right or is the gauge over reading slightly?

Another thing I noticed is in 3rd gear it would hold roughly 1bar then in 4th and 5th it would hit 1.3bar roughly....is that normal?

Cheers guys
Old 31 October 2016, 10:39 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

no way of knowing how much it will boost too since it's been mapped - when you remap the car you take the existing map off and put a new one on so the face that it was PPP has no relation to what the new map might look like.

anyone with a diagnostic tool should be able to log the ECU's target boost level, this will usually give you a rough idea what the ECU is trying to achieve.

It is normal to have a little more boost in the higher gears, though this can be smoothed out in most cases if your mapper spends the time on it.

Check your gauge with the ignition on /engine off, should read zero - if it's not reading zero then you'll have to assume the gauge is reading off by however much, but the diagnostic will tell you for sure.

Did the previous owner tell you who mapped the car? It may be worth booking into a proper garage for a health check and a dyno run to see how the car is sitting.
Old 01 November 2016, 10:15 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, He never said but I could find out. Would 1.5bar be perfectly safe for the std turbo? I wasn't sure if that was a tad high or not but I'm sure it's ok if it's been mapped for that, unless the gauge is reading high.

It definitely boosts to in and around 1bar in 3rd, it pulls rather well in 4th when it hits 1.4bar ish......
Old 01 November 2016, 11:23 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes - ask him how much it was mapped for or take a trip to a garage with a diagnostic tool to confirm.

As for safety, you can blow the car up at 1 bar so the amount of boost is only part of the picture - personally no I wouldn't run a TD04 at 1.5 bar but I don't know your specific car and how happy it was at the time it was mapped. From 3rd onwards you should be hitting pretty much the same boost though so you may still have something to investigate if your undershooting in 3rd and overshooting in 4th. You won't know until you find out how much boost your supposed to be running.
Old 01 November 2016, 01:39 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
yes - ask him how much it was mapped for or take a trip to a garage with a diagnostic tool to confirm.

As for safety, you can blow the car up at 1 bar so the amount of boost is only part of the picture - personally no I wouldn't run a TD04 at 1.5 bar but I don't know your specific car and how happy it was at the time it was mapped. From 3rd onwards you should be hitting pretty much the same boost though so you may still have something to investigate if your undershooting in 3rd and overshooting in 4th. You won't know until you find out how much boost your supposed to be running.
I've just had a wee read on here and it seems the general consensus is 1.1 bar for the TD04 which has me head scratching as to why it would be set for 1.4 bar.

Do you know what boost level is favoured when doing the PPP package? I have the certificate for that so I know that's been done, if std boost is 0.8(if I've got that right) then would the PPP upgrade take it to roughly 1.1?

And if he's had a map since, then it's maybe been upped to nearer the 1.5 mark, and he reckons it's in and around the 280bhp mark. Next year I plan on possibly doing some mods but i'm not sure yet, but I'd like to know that it's going to last as it is and not go **** up.
Old 01 November 2016, 02:19 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

if it's been mapped then the PPP settings no longer apply, that's part of mapping the car is changing the boost targets/wastegate duty/fuel and timing to make it all work in harmony. If you want to know what the map is set too then take the car to a garage that can check it for you and you'll know for sure - anything else is just finger in the air guesswork.
Old 01 November 2016, 07:17 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

if it's been mapped then the PPP settings no longer apply, that's part of mapping the car is changing the boost targets/wastegate duty/fuel and timing to make it all work in harmony. If you want to know what the map is set too then take the car to a garage that can check it for you and you'll know for sure - anything else is just finger in the air guesswork.

That's not what I'm getting at though, what I mean is if the PPP map was with the boost set @ 1.1bar and roughly 260 and since then it's had a map where the previous owner now believes the car is producing in and around 280 then that to me means the boost has and would have been turned up more......hence the 1.4bar if the boost gauge is accurate.

I'll see what garages can check, I've asked in the Scottish section to see and I'll get it in. I'm little paranoid if it's set at 1.4bar as that seems too much for the TD04 according to most posts that I've read on here.

I did read on the Andy Forrest website that the std ecu can be mapped to have gear specific boost settings which explains why mine boosts to 1bar in 3rd and then higher in 4th & 5th.
Old 01 November 2016, 07:30 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

As bludgod has said,you don't need to just increase boost for extra power,far from it.
You can easy get more with timing and fuel with no boost increase.
Sounds like your overboosting @1.5bar on a td04 not to say you can't but I'm surprised it's still in one piece.
Old 01 November 2016, 07:58 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
As bludgod has said,you don't need to just increase boost for extra power,far from it.
You can easy get more with timing and fuel with no boost increase.
Sounds like your overboosting @1.5bar on a td04 not to say you can't but I'm surprised it's still in one piece.
If the gauge is accurate then it's definitely at the very least 1.4bar in 4th. It's a prosport gauge with peak recall. That's what I'm worried about regarding the turbo failing. Everything seems fine just though, currently on 106k full service, turbo was replaced at some point I believe or rebuilt. That was before the latest map though but not sure exactly when the PPP was done so I'm not sure how long the turbo has been used at higher boost.

I am considering some form of tuning next year so it's not the end of the world but i'd like to know what's exactly going on just now.
Old 02 November 2016, 10:26 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

only way you will know exactly what's going on is to get the car plugged into a diagnostic computer - anything else will be guesswork.

even with per gear wastegate/boost settings, I wouldn't be expecting to see that much difference between 3rd/4th gear. 1st and 2nd yeh they would be low, 5th gear definitely going to be higher but 3rd and 4th should be pretty close to each other.
Old 02 November 2016, 12:13 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

only way you will know exactly what's going on is to get the car plugged into a diagnostic computer - anything else will be guesswork.

even with per gear wastegate/boost settings, I wouldn't be expecting to see that much difference between 3rd/4th gear. 1st and 2nd yeh they would be low, 5th gear definitely going to be higher but 3rd and 4th should be pretty close to each other.
I'll find somewhere that can check for me, I'll check today for sure in 3rd and 4th but I'm fairly certain. Do most diagnostic computers have the ability to read what I wanting to know? I could take it to my mates garage and see what he says.

It's doing my nut now, worrying that it's set too high, I'd like it to last until next year when I decide whether to change things about.
Old 02 November 2016, 12:41 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes most OBD computers or ideally an SSM tool (or vagcom lead with romraider software) will be able to read the target boost value and the manifold pressure value from the ECU. Target boost is what the ECU is trying to achieve so if your manifold pressure is higher then your overshooting the boost target and something isn't right.