Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Mapping and engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2016, 02:18 PM
Mister:E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mapping and engine problem

I recently gave my 02 bugeye wrx in for a ecu upgrade from a standard ecu to a ecu master emu and had a new harness fitted and mapped only to be told it's running 77 bhp and that there's a serious problem with the engine (which has not been found) ran a diagnostic check and nothing is showing up, checked for boost leaks and found none, timing was fine and compression tests were carried out when I had my new 2.5 forged legacy bottom end fitted, injectors replaced with 850cc black op injectors, 20g turbo, front mount intercooler, p1 heads, cosworth head caskets, fuel pressure regulator, aftermarket fuel pump, new arp head bolts fitted, Sti fuel rail fitted, exedy stage 2 clutch, the guy I bought the engine from had previously had the engine in a P1 and doing 450 bhp with other mods he had done, can't seem to find the fault to why it's running so low on bhp, it should easily be pushing over 320+ bhp.. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to try and find the fault??
Old 27 August 2016, 02:27 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Who's fitting and mapping the ECU?
I've heard of ecu master but not used for Subaru application
Old 27 August 2016, 02:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Who's fitting and mapping the ECU?
I've heard of ecu master but not used for Subaru application
Gordon from street racers, he's a top man and I've used him before. He had done a Subaru not long ago using the same ecu and had good results.
Old 28 August 2016, 07:04 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Why not just have the standard Bugeye ECU remapped?
Old 03 September 2016, 08:35 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister:E
I recently gave my 02 bugeye wrx in for a ecu upgrade from a standard ecu to a ecu master emu and had a new harness fitted and mapped only to be told it's running 77 bhp and that there's a serious problem with the engine (which has not been found) ran a diagnostic check and nothing is showing up, checked for boost leaks and found none, timing was fine and compression tests were carried out when I had my new 2.5 forged legacy bottom end fitted, injectors replaced with 850cc black op injectors, 20g turbo, front mount intercooler, p1 heads, cosworth head caskets, fuel pressure regulator, aftermarket fuel pump, new arp head bolts fitted, Sti fuel rail fitted, exedy stage 2 clutch, the guy I bought the engine from had previously had the engine in a P1 and doing 450 bhp with other mods he had done, can't seem to find the fault to why it's running so low on bhp, it should easily be pushing over 320+ bhp.. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to try and find the fault??

Does it actually feel like 77 bhp when driven ??
Has it got the correct crank drive gear and L/H Inlet cam pulley for timing reference to suit the '02 bugeye seeing as it was fitted in a P1 originally ?
Old 03 September 2016, 09:26 PM
mjp02wrx
Scooby Regular

Gordon from street racers (leicester)? he has gone bust a few times and moved on, where is he based now? I met him twice seemed ok but thought he would of recommended a legit subaru tested option, if you can get him to remove it and put it on the rollers again.

Last edited by mjp02wrx; 03 September 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04 September 2016, 04:34 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
Does it actually feel like 77 bhp when driven ??
Has it got the correct crank drive gear and L/H Inlet cam pulley for timing reference to suit the '02 bugeye seeing as it was fitted in a P1 originally ?
Its all good, he found the fault which was manifold flap motor which was stuck, thanks for the replies much appreciated

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2016, 04:36 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mjp02wrx
Gordon from street racers (leicester)? he has gone bust a few times and moved on, where is he based now? I met him twice seemed ok but thought he would of recommended a legit subaru tested option, if you can get him to remove it and put it on the rollers again.
Thanks for the advice, he's still in Leicester mate