Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Horror Storys

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2016, 12:29 PM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horror Storys

Right so basically im away to buy my first Scooby on sat and I was wondering about the dreaded big end going and how likely it is to go and how I can prevent it, Also if there is any other underlying things I could stop happening to it, it would be ace to know.

the car is a 2005 2L WRX with prodrive remap up to 270bhp with launch control it also has a CC Clutch, decatted up and down pipes and a scorpion exhaust, Full Servive history and 78K on the clock.

thanks guys
Ruairidh
Old 06 July 2016, 02:27 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

It will be fine I'm sure. 270bhp on a 78k WRX isn't too much of a stretch so long as it's been looked after.
There will always be horror stories but there is usually a genuine reason for them. Either the car wasn't maintained, somebody pushed the engine too far, or as in the case of the 'chocolate' 2.5s, the finished product just wasn't up to the job.

Satisfy yourself that the car has been properly maintained, as you would with any car I hope, and then it's down to your judgement of the facts and circumstances of sale as presented to you by the seller.
Old 07 July 2016, 08:34 AM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Ok man cheers for that! fingers crossed I have my new Scooby on sat
Old 13 July 2016, 12:21 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yeah you can normally tell when someone hasn't looked after there impreza. Those I'd avoid are loads of owners and no history or high miles or look abused. To be honest launch control puts me off, screams used on drag strip.
Old 13 July 2016, 08:32 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking a good look at the owner, how he speaks and where he lives, those are my guidelines. If the owner looks like a bag of shyte, talks like a dope and his house is a tip then expect the car to be similarly shambolic. Walk smartly away.
Old 14 July 2016, 08:53 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Does the Prodrive map have LC ?
Old 14 July 2016, 09:44 AM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Hi there got the car a few more bugs coming up now... the guy seemed alright and so did the car at the time. heres the link to my latest thread on it https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ost-creep.html . also whats an LC?

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2016, 09:49 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

LC is an abbreviation for Launch Control usually.
Reading that thread I think I would be taking the car back for a refund, or at least a hefty discount.
Old 14 July 2016, 09:58 AM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Well he was told it was LC but its not its the engine protection system, he claimed it had only been used once for LC when he got the car. Unfortunately I doubt the guy would give me any money back :/ but that's just the way it goes buying private, ill figure out what's wrong with it and go from there. Just really don't have the money to be chucking at it right after Iv got it, I mean I allowed a couple hundred but not this much so soon. I hate how you only find these things after driving a few hundred miles.
Old 14 July 2016, 11:11 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

I just read through your other thread. You're best going straight to a Mapper to find out what the problem actually is, instead of just replacing random items you think may fix it.

Regards to the Fuel cut @Bludgod on here could probably advise what fuel cut would point towards.
Old 14 July 2016, 11:24 AM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

Ok ill just leave it booked in just now with DMC for the rolling road check, but getting the other stuff done just now will help rule out anything else wont it?
Old 14 July 2016, 12:10 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ihboyrude
Ok ill just leave it booked in just now with DMC for the rolling road check, but getting the other stuff done just now will help rule out anything else wont it?
Yes fix the hole in the exhaust and anything else that's broken/faulty,not sure what you are going to do to the wastegate? Then go in for the remap on the rollers,not sure why your mate says it's a 'Dangerous game' putting your car on the rollers?? It's exactly what the car needs. Timing , fuel , boost all need checking due to the mods and the fact that someone has just flashed a PPP map or bought an ECU with it on.

Edit: ideally you will want to give the car a service,fresh oil,plugs etc as you don't really know when it was last done and what state it's in?

Last edited by ossett2k2; 14 July 2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 14 July 2016, 12:12 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ihboyrude

Yeah it would help rule other issues out though you could be replacing items that don't need replaced.

I just think if you're on a budget you should find out what's actually wrong instead of just replacing bits and pieces.
Old 14 July 2016, 12:58 PM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

I agree with you on that haha but the hole in the exhaust will need sorted anyway before its put on the rolling road, because that will throw it all to **** if I don't do that, also hes my mate so he will do me a good deal I hope. haha but yeh itll be good to know if the turbo etc is all good too.(piece of mind)

Off back on to the Ford forum now because my vans decided it wants to be sound and fail its mot too ... the joys...
Old 14 July 2016, 01:00 PM
ihboyrude
Scooby Regular

basically what @ossett2k2 said (sorry just saw your reply above haha)
Old 14 July 2016, 01:14 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I never seen about the hole in the exhaust. Deffo get it fixed lol.