Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Do I need a re map or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2016, 12:23 PM
Reedy948
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a re map or not?

Alright guys,new here so go easy!Just bought myself my first scoob a 2010 wrx - s edition,pick it up on Wednesday!Whilst out on the test drive I noticed there wasn't much noise/burble coming from the exhaust,I would like to maybe change the back box,change the full system or de cat it!any other ideas would be welcomed!ive been reading a few bits and pieces and some are saying a re map is essential and others are saying it dosent matter just looking for some opinions,from my understanding though the wrx s has already been fiddled with by pro drive so is it a good idea to do it again?!Also would I have to remap if I fitted a dump valve and K and N!Thanks for your time any help appreciated 👍
Old 12 June 2016, 01:41 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome any pictures?

To start off for a back box changed i wouldn't bother personally doing a remap. But if your going to decat the exhaust i would recommend it.

Although saying that there loads of impreza's running, decat, dump valves, induction kits, full exhaust changes with no remaps at all. Problems you will find with that is your car over fuelling etc and i wouldn't recommend this, essentially not with a 2010 plate car.

So in answer to your question yes, get it remapped if your doing anything more than back box and changing your filter. I've changed my full exhaust system and have a dump valve fitted, but have not had it remapped as yet, but will be done in next few months. And most likey will be removing my dump valve as it causes over fuelling.

Most people on this site hate dump valves, if your referring to vent to atmosphere ones, due to some thinking they sound chavy and others saying they cause over fuelling and bore wash so be aware. Hope this has answered your question?
Old 12 June 2016, 02:01 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want the subaru burble you will need to change the headers to unequal length headers. Yours will have equal length which wont burble no matter which system you put on it.
Old 12 June 2016, 02:37 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

And for those who speak English unequal length manifold.
Old 12 June 2016, 03:07 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by rb5 stu
If you want the subaru burble you will need to change the headers to unequal length headers. Yours will have equal length which wont burble no matter which system you put on it.
Originally Posted by hardcoreimpreza
And where did you get that idea from ???

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_1/

Old 12 June 2016, 04:10 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardcoreimpreza
Grow up.....
Old 12 June 2016, 04:30 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Grow up.....

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2016, 04:45 PM
Reedy948
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Welcome any pictures?

To start off for a back box changed i wouldn't bother personally doing a remap. But if your going to decat the exhaust i would recommend it.

Although saying that there loads of impreza's running, decat, dump valves, induction kits, full exhaust changes with no remaps at all. Problems you will find with that is your car over fuelling etc and i wouldn't recommend this, essentially not with a 2010 plate car.

So in answer to your question yes, get it remapped if your doing anything more than back box and changing your filter. I've changed my full exhaust system and have a dump valve fitted, but have not had it remapped as yet, but will be done in next few months. And most likey will be removing my dump valve as it causes over fuelling.

Most people on this site hate dump valves, if your referring to vent to atmosphere ones, due to some thinking they sound chavy and others saying they cause over fuelling and bore wash so be aware. Hope this has answered your question?
Cheers man that's brilliant,I don't really have much mechanical knowledge so any advice is welcome!Its new and it pretty mint condition so I'm not really wanting to go hacking it up and stupidly modifying it!It could just really benefit from sounding a bit more aggressive,I might just buy a new backbox and change the air filter to start with !Ive always had old skool BM's so this is my first experience with turbo'd engines and I'm very concious of the fact I could do a lot of damage if I don't do it correctly. I've also always wanted a (atmospheric) dump valve on a car as I think they sound great haha 😂! Thanks for your help again mate appreciated 👍
Old 13 June 2016, 09:32 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you have the budget go for a cat back system and you should unleash a good bit of sound from the exhaust. Generally the more you pay the better it will sound, the backbox is massive on the hatchbacks so eats up a lot of the sound on it's own but the small resonator in the centre section also does a good job of killing noise.
Old 13 June 2016, 06:19 PM
Reedy948
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
if you have the budget go for a cat back system and you should unleash a good bit of sound from the exhaust. Generally the more you pay the better it will sound, the backbox is massive on the hatchbacks so eats up a lot of the sound on it's own but the small resonator in the centre section also does a good job of killing noise.
Thanks for your help mate,so you reckon with that no remapping will be needed!Thats exactly what I want,just to unleash a bit of the noise as its pretty bland at the moment!
Old 13 June 2016, 07:13 PM
Reedy948
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Reedy948
Thanks for your help mate,so you reckon with that no remapping will be needed!Thats exactly what I want,just to unleash a bit of the noise as its pretty bland at the moment!
Any decent sites where I can have a look at some?
Old 13 June 2016, 07:48 PM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reedy948
Any decent sites where I can have a look at some?
Haywood and Scott
Scoobyworld
Scoobyparts
Miltek

👍
Old 14 June 2016, 09:28 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

scoobyworx do cobra ones as well:
http://www.scoobyworx.com/impreza-ha...rx-s-543-c.asp