Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Test mode not working. Boost solenoid very quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2016, 03:28 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Test mode not working. Boost solenoid very quiet?

Hi chaps,
I've recently bought my 1st scooby, and loving it of course!
Its a 2001 WRX hatch (bugeye). Standard apart from a back box and springs.

Anyway I noticed its got a couple flat spots at about 3k and 5k. Read that cleaning the boost solenoid might help.
But joining the green test mode connectors doesn't do anything! no fans, or clicks from any solenoids anywhere.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Also, I removed the boost solenoid and connected it to a 12v source to test it, and the click is very faint. Only really audible if you put your ear a few cm away. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02 January 2016, 07:07 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Default SOLVED.

TEXT MODE FIXED.
Seems to be quite a few reads but no replies, so guessing this might not be too well know.
So just in case anyone else has the same problem in the future...

There is a 2nd green test connector, its behind the lower passenger side door trim.
Unscrew the large flat plastic screw and carefully bend the cover back to reveal it.
Connect the plugs if they're not already!

Obviously then leave the drivers side unconnected for normal driving duties.

Old 04 January 2016, 09:50 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

glad you found the other connector, i've heard of it but not seen a car that needed it connecting yet. The BCS cleaning I like to take it off the car and use a spare bit of wire to activate it (just run it to the battery terminals). Means you can give it a bit of rapid fire whilst filling it with carb cleaner and giving it a good shaking.
Old 04 January 2016, 05:20 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

yep, thats exactly what i did, plus i blasted it again with it connected and going through test cycle.

But sadly I'm still getting a few flat spots in the upper half of the revs, so going to get a 2nd hand one off fleabay and see if it helps.

If it doesnt then clearly its time to upgrade to a 3 port, decat & remap it!
Old 04 January 2016, 05:23 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

any other mods to the car and have you tried changing fuel filter and filling it with some good super?
Old 04 January 2016, 09:56 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

No engine mods, just lowering springs and a tony banks back box, which all came fitted when I bought it a month ago.

I've only ever ran it on super unleaded, usually shell Vpower. I thought scoobies were meant to be run on 97RON?
Old 05 January 2016, 10:13 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

is your boost dropping off when you have the flat spots? If you can't log it maybe try and get a video of it to see what's happening.

Vpower should be grand, was just wondering incase you were using something awful like BP super.

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2016, 12:04 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Hmm, whats in the tank at the moment might be BP super actually. I've definitely had a tank of that recently anyway.

Unfortunately I cant monitor boost as I dont have a gauge and the OBD2 bluetooth adapter I have doesnt seem to work with this car (its a Eml327). Guess the car is too old to have the right protocols.

I'll try and get a video soon but I'm not sure how much it will show. The flat spots are about 500rpm from 3.5k and 5k and most of all you just feel a slow in the acceleration, the rev needle doesn't exactly go backwards lol.
Old 05 January 2016, 01:39 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

BP just doesn't seem to suit them, run the tank down to the light, stick £20 of vpower in, drive that out and then brim it with vpower before reassessing.

the ELM327 bluetooth jobby should work OK on it, mine works on bugs/blobs/hawks no bother - might be the app needs updating?

Boost gauge should definitely be on your list of things to get at some stage, they aren't mad money and will give you a good idea of how the car is doing with a quick glance.
Old 05 January 2016, 01:51 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

I'll report back in a week or so when I've had time to burn off the current fuel.
Actually I'm too impatient for that. Think I might just drain whats left into the my old 20lt jerry cans.

Defo going to get some gauges before I start tuning it, would feel uneasy not knowing oil pressure, temp and boost.

The Elm works fine on my 2004 diesel mondeo, but just doesn't transmit anything from the scooby. I've tried it with DashCommand, Torque lite, OBD Link and OBD car doctor!
Old 05 January 2016, 09:18 PM
HoodedLime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my gf bought her bugeye a few months ago she was complaining about a few flat spots. We took it for a diagnostics and it turned out to be faulty turbo and afr sensor. Was running very rich and overboosting. New sensor and replacement turbo from ebay and now it is running sweet 276hp
Old 12 January 2016, 08:35 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

*update*

The BP fuel is gone and its now running on Shell Vpower, I've fitted new (2nd hand) boost solenoid. (I tested both old and new on the bench and the new one had a much more positive clunk)

Sadly I'm still getting some flat spot issues, but they seamed to have moved!
Any suggestions as to what to try next? MAF? Coil packs?
I will try and get the the codes checked soon as i can get over to my mates garage.

Last service was 6k ago and it had; fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, spark plugs & coolant.
Old 14 January 2016, 06:09 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

*update on the update!*

I'm tempted to think the flat spots might be related to the AC.

I've not had a chance to confirm it 100% but yesterday I had the AC on to clear the screen a bit and it wasnt pulling cleanly. But when I turned the AC off she ran much smoother.
Will investigate and report back.
Old 15 January 2016, 01:37 PM
Anko Dragt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could be right.

Some ECU's shut off the AC when runnning full power. gives some weird spots when it engages the compressor again.