Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ring land blown on fresh build..

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2015, 11:38 AM
typersti9307
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ring land blown on fresh build..

Won't be mentioning any name's but how would you say I stand..had the car mapped up to 400+ hp initially, run for 400 miles, went well setup was 2.35 closed deck, gt30r rotated the mapper supplied ecu temp sensor 3 port and 3 bar map sensor, had an issue with boost control and it turns out it was the boost solenoid not controlling the wastegate, after 3 runs boosting off the charts...he used a mitivac to manually adjust the wastegate, success...brought the boost up in 0.1 bar from 1.4 bar got to run 3 or four 1.6 bar and aborted due to knock on cylinder 2.... Saying in a quite blazay way oh something isn't right, need to strip down and investigate...the engine is 500miles old top spec at an enormous cost...what are your thoughts? Where can I go for help, massively running out of faith in man kind, I'm about 2 minutes short of outing some "respected" tuners on here..not happy at all, my thoughts are if your in control of the car an a part you supply fails and as a result blows a ring land on a brand new 6k motor in parts alone it's your problem, if I ran my business like these monkeys I wouldn't last a year..I feel like there actually committing a crime taking money for goods an services and not standing by there word....but what is a man's word in 2015? Broken f@#'ing Britain, rant over any advice guy's I'm burnt out thanks
Old 06 December 2015, 11:53 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always gonna be a difficult one, you say the engine ran for 400 miles, I take it all the correct oil changes were done after the running in etc...?
Old 06 December 2015, 11:58 AM
typersti9307
Scooby Regular

To say correct try Miller's runing in after 20min tick over then again after initial map so 100miles then Miller's nanotechnology 10w/60w after 400miles...get the picture? It's had more love than a new born baby....gutted
Old 06 December 2015, 03:34 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

400miles then a ful synthetic did the builder ask you too run it in that way? Seems far too soon.
Old 06 December 2015, 04:58 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's detted a ring land away or melted a piston while being mapped and with parts supplied by the mapper, then surely there must be some comeback on the mapper after 3 pulls with uncontrollable boost ?
Assume there was no fueling problems,cooling system problems, it has the correct heat range spark plugs, optimal compression ratio for target power etc which may have contributed to the failure ?

Sh*t situation to be in mate but hopefully between the mapper,yourself and your nominated engine builder ( unless you built/build it yourself ) you can resolve the issue without a Sh*tfight and be back on the road as soon as.
Old 06 December 2015, 05:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

400 mile run in?

My builder recommended the following, 500miles on crappy mineral oil, disconnected actuator and 4k rev limit. Then did 500 miles on semi synthetic, disconnected actuator and 4k rev limit.

They always use the same method and they build hundreds of them
Old 06 December 2015, 05:02 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd suggest that the fact it was boosting off the scale lead to the ultimate death of a ringland. No amount of fuel would compensate for to high boost levels. it must have detted its **** off. I'd be personally laying blame firmly with the mapper.
Old 06 December 2015, 05:04 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
I'd suggest that the fact it was boosting off the scale lead to the ultimate death of a ringland. No amount of fuel would compensate for to high boost levels. it must have detted its **** off. I'd be personally laying blame firmly with the mapper.
yeah, doesnt sound great that
Old 06 December 2015, 05:34 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 runs with the turbo boosting of the chart mapper sounds like a right bell end.

Not a situation I would like to be in, just hope they are a reputable garage and get this sorted for you.
Old 06 December 2015, 05:53 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Thats bloody awful m8, having spent all that money 2.3 u must be gutted!!!

Was having this discussion with a friend of mine about a 2.1 stroker that he's had built, he purposely used a company who could build and map the engine all in house so that if anything went wrong they couldn't blame anybody else.

Hope u can get it sorted asap!

Tim.
Old 06 December 2015, 07:50 PM
typersti9307
Scooby Regular

All your comments much appreciated, running in engines is a grey one, if you think about it, you could do 1000 miles driving like a nanna and in my opinion is not the best way, a fresh build needs loading up progressively to slow an you risk glazing the bores, in my humble opinion, if it had run under load with mineral oil for a hundred miles or so then progressively increased the boost over the next three hundred, that's fine, if you took an engine fresh built to 8k at 2 bar ur a bell end, it's common sense and when each oil change was made I ran it through a pair of tights, an the magnetic sump plug was minimal fur first change an none pre second rolling road session an holding 1.4 no problem...this isn't my first bite of the cherry either, this is the second engine, if I don't get resolve this time ie money from either party's involved the full story will be published on here in great detail an every site I can find relating to Subaru community as to warn them from these jokers, I'm a reasonable guy, but I'm getting to the point where I've run out of reasonable solutions I will not take it lying Down
Old 06 December 2015, 08:04 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Why the hell would he give it full beans and allow it to overboost on a number of occasions?
I was left with a blown toucan on my last mapping session mapper blaming everyone else but himself all he had to do was instal one wire
Id be livid mate bill for the rebuild would be sent to him.

Last edited by **jay**; 06 December 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06 December 2015, 08:13 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch, I know exactly how you feel.
Old 06 December 2015, 08:17 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

One run with it boosting off the charts should have been enough to say stop the session until the fault was sorted.
Doing 3 runs like this is crazy

Gutted for you pal,hope you get it sorted with no more damage to your wallet!
Old 06 December 2015, 09:15 PM
typersti9307
Scooby Regular

I shall be going back Monday, quite early had a sleepless weekend appreciate the support, the problem is when you know your way round a motor, an the whole procedure an they talk to you like your an idiot an there the all seeing eye!! Oh well I'll keep you guy's posted
Old 06 December 2015, 10:55 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Good luck 2moro m8, keep us posted on what happens.
Old 07 December 2015, 01:20 AM
Lillyart14
Scooby Regular

400 mile run-in and 3 runs with it boosting off the charts? Bloke needs a slap tbh. Always thought you'd need a gradual 1000 mile run-in before anything else...
Old 07 December 2015, 10:36 AM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

In a ideal world I suppose you would have a nice gradual run, but many competition engines don't get that luxury inc mine which had 100 miles run in on proper millers running in oil before fresh oil and the final map and upping the boost. Although I'm only running 1.2 bar @ 330bhp so not under big stress. I know the life expectancy of a competition engine will be shorter than a road engine but as long as it's done in a correct manner a shorter running in period should be ok.

But the OP's mapper sounds like a right plonker and has let it wildly over boost not once but 3 times! And has ultimately led to killing the engine!

I feel the op's pain having put so much time money and effort into building a monster he must be gutted! Here's hoping he has a good result when talking to them today!

Tim.
Old 07 December 2015, 03:56 PM
typersti9307
Scooby Regular

Agreed Tim
I use only Miller's running in oil, done correctly there's no excuse for ring land failure that's boost issue, I've been down and the "garage" manager is being very helpful, problem is the mapper is sub contracted in...we will see feeling hopefull, fully understand the many variables with knock and an engine, but when each component is new and over speced to cope, an it goes **** you can't help but feel mugged, we've gone into stage one.....the paper trail...who supplied this? What was fit? Blah blah where's the receipts...it's not even finished haven't had any yet but you had the money
Old 07 December 2015, 05:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

did the garage supplier the mapper? or were they your choice?
Old 07 December 2015, 06:08 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not Francis is it?
Old 07 December 2015, 07:27 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck.
Old 07 December 2015, 09:35 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
It's not Francis is it?
I hope he says no
Old 07 December 2015, 10:43 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Good luck with it all fella, keep us updated.
Old 07 December 2015, 11:23 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put us all out of are misery who mapped it, you could save someone's else's engine
Old 08 December 2015, 03:30 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sarg400
Put us all out of are misery who mapped it, you could save someone's else's engine
Agreed, I'm getting my car mapped this month and would like to know I'm making an informed decisions about my choice of mapper.
Old 08 December 2015, 07:44 AM
typersti9307
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see what there going to do about it before I start shaming people, I'm a fair person, if they stand by there mistake then there's no need, I'm sure if any of you guy's had just had 6k pop it would be more about self preservation....I'll have an answer by the end of the week hopefully, thanks for all your support
Old 08 December 2015, 08:24 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by typersti9307
I'd like to see what there going to do about it before I start shaming people, I'm a fair person, if they stand by there mistake then there's no need, I'm sure if any of you guy's had just had 6k pop it would be more about self preservation....I'll have an answer by the end of the week hopefully, thanks for all your support
In all honesty mate that's what you should of done in the first place before you started this thread up,wait for the companys reply and then if you was not satisfied with there reply,then start a thread about your situation and then name/mention all parties involved.SJ.
Old 08 December 2015, 09:04 AM
Ash
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
In all honesty mate that's what you should of done in the first place before you started this thread up,wait for the companys reply and then if you was not satisfied with there reply,then start a thread about your situation and then name/mention all parties involved.SJ.
Fair comment
Old 08 December 2015, 10:26 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

He has not named anyone yet, id probably do the same. Then id name him if i never got anywhere.

Quick Reply: ring land blown on fresh build..