Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Header and exhaust wrapping??

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2015, 02:02 PM
Mysta-c
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header and exhaust wrapping??

Hi guys I've been reading up on heat wrapping exhaust systems, I've got a stainless Hayward and Scott un equal length header 3" full stainless system, some say it's a good thing to wrap others say don't because it'll crack, I phoned Hayward and Scott and they've said don't do the manifold because it will crack, as I've got 40m of heat wrap lol is it worth wrapping the exhaust from the turbo back?
Any help/advice/opinion would be greatfull.
Thanks guys.
Old 17 November 2015, 07:30 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes wrap the downpipe, it will improve gas flow and get rid of a crap ton of heat from the engine bay (particularly the steering knuckle which is next to it)

All stainless manifolds crack eventually, most people wrap there RCM ones me included. The heat is a killer
Old 18 November 2015, 09:56 AM
Mysta-c
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginola
Yes wrap the downpipe, it will improve gas flow and get rid of a crap ton of heat from the engine bay (particularly the steering knuckle which is next to it)

All stainless manifolds crack eventually, most people wrap there RCM ones me included. The heat is a killer
I've started wrapping the down pipe guna continue it to the back box with the remaining wrap and Hooe for some pops and flames :-)
Old 19 November 2015, 09:25 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

your only wasting your time wrapping anything beyond the top half of the downpipe. Do the downpipe until you get to the bend where it goes under the car, do the uppipe and leave the rest - if you've any wrap left over just sell it to someone who only needs a little bit?
Old 19 November 2015, 01:21 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginola

Sorry for piggyback question but, does this also apply to standard headers or are only SS ones susceptible to cracking after being wrapped?
Old 20 November 2015, 12:28 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Sorry for piggyback question but, does this also apply to standard headers or are only SS ones susceptible to cracking after being wrapped?
Standard headers are cast iron and wont crack.