Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

TB's and Inlet manifold newage differences

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2015, 04:15 AM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB's and Inlet manifold newage differences

I have a 53 plate wrx, I believe my throttle body is 60mm diameter. Is there any difference between my throttle body / inlet manifold and that on a same age STI?

Are there any common mods or swaps to the throttle body or intake manifold to increase / improve air flow?
Old 19 October 2015, 07:52 AM
Anko Dragt
Scooby Regular

Its the same part, different color.

however swapping over to the TGVless bodies would be a upgrade, but thats not the manifold itself and can be accomplished with the WRX manifold and STI TGV deletes.

very simple mod that takes intake temp down is to insulate the manifold with phenol spacers, separate the coolant tank from the manifold using them also, and removing the throttle body coolant hoses.

Saved me a fair bit of heat in the manifold and thus intake temps.= more possible power

Last edited by Anko Dragt; 19 October 2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 19 October 2015, 09:00 AM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anko Dragt
Its the same part, different color.

however swapping over to the TGVless bodies would be a upgrade, but thats not the manifold itself and can be accomplished with the WRX manifold and STI TGV deletes.

very simple mod that takes intake temp down is to insulate the manifold with phenol spacers, separate the coolant tank from the manifold using them also, and removing the throttle body coolant hoses.

Saved me a fair bit of heat in the manifold and thus intake temps.= more possible power
Cheers,

Sounds like good steps to take.

I've seen a 64 and a 70mm throttle body advertised to fit the sti, so either either should fit the wrx ok.

Is the TGV delete for the mani or the throttle body?
Old 19 October 2015, 10:38 AM
Anko Dragt
Scooby Regular

TGV's are located between the manifold and the head, where the injectors are inserted.

I personally think the stock throttle body is the best there is up to about 600hp. I wouldn't replace it with a aftermarket unit.
Could as well be that you will need a remap with a bigger TB.
Old 19 October 2015, 11:57 AM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anko Dragt
TGV's are located between the manifold and the head, where the injectors are inserted.

I personally think the stock throttle body is the best there is up to about 600hp. I wouldn't replace it with a aftermarket unit.
Could as well be that you will need a remap with a bigger TB.
Yeah I don't think it needs it but every little helps, I'm thinking about going for a remap in the new year so just looking at all the bits I could bolt on before hand so I don't have to go back.