Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

I'm new to mapping so any help?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2015, 08:26 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new to mapping so any help?

Hi all,

I have a 2002 WRX which was standard until recently (was quite bored one sunny day) so decided to change a few things.

Afterburner uppipe (with the 2.2ohmn resister instead of the sensor)
Afterburner sports cat down pipe
Afterburner centre section (no cat)
Afterburner raptor back box
Walbro 255
K&N induction (out comes the standard box)
Front O2 sensor (old one seemed old and iffy)

Now after changing all that i knew the car would be all kinds of odd and not get the performance without a map so i just happen to have a Tactrix cable, Romraider, ECU flash and a good map for these mods.

Before flashing i had all sorts of hesitation, lack of power etc

After the flash it goes like a rocket and i am logging the data and have been for a few days since the change. I am getting some FLKC between 1400 and 2500 RPM under 0.4 and 0.8 load

Reading a whole load of posts on loads of different sites seems to have a mixed reaction to others having the same issues. Some say road noise\loud exhaust etc can cause the knock but what do you all think???

I cant seem to see how to post the .csv on here from my run home today.
Old 13 October 2015, 08:43 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

post it to google sheets then post the link.
Old 13 October 2015, 08:53 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Never used it but link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Out of 3810 entries in the sheet, 3075 are 0 FLKC and thats a mix of occasional boosting but mostly just standard driving in and out of traffic
Old 13 October 2015, 08:56 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Loud exhaust and road noise should not be picked up as knock.
I'm using different software as its a classic but principle is the same.
What's your IAM at? What do your long term knock correction tables look like?
In the cells you're getting knock it could be either too lean or a little too much timing,so you would need to retard a degree in those cells or enrich.
Are you using an afr gauge and detcans when tuning?
Old 13 October 2015, 09:06 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

I am very new to this mod world so please bear with me.

Im not using an AFR gauge and dont have any detcans. On the sheet i have posted, the IAM (RAW ECU) values are 0, 8, 9, 10 and 15
Old 13 October 2015, 10:04 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

id have a proper mapper look the car over. there is a fair amount of knock activity going on in the flkc table and the iam has dropped to 15 indicating its pulling timing. im no expert as im learning like you but thats what i see. bludgod is pretty good with this stuff and posts here and might comment if he sees the post.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:13 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Thanks mate. Just need to find one on the south coast thats less that 2 hours drive away lol

Im just going over a huge amount of docs on knock etc....its like pulling teeth but will all be good in the end with the knowledge
Old 13 October 2015, 10:25 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yeh just loading a generic map is never going to be perfect,far from it sometimes.
Not sure on the newage as I only map my own classic,but what works for one car will not for another.
What map have you loaded in? What mods were on that car? Are these roms like a stage 1,stage 2 ect....?
Advice would be take it for a pro map and have a good starting point.
I'm only just starting out but there are a lot of good guys with great experience on here who will help you out,bludgod certainly point me in the right directions,and I'm loving DIY mapping
Can't really read your logs as I'm at work on my phone but looks like your engine is suffering?
Old 13 October 2015, 10:31 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

And just to say you should have at least a wideband afr gauge if you want to do your own mapping.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:36 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Yea thats pretty much next on my shopping list! I only have the standard boost, oil pressure and oil temp gauges. Was trying to find places near when i am but most seem to suggest that once they map the car, you cant download the ROM and flash new changes. So i guess i need to find 2 things.....a good mapper and one that maps using open source.......and the third would be at a good price. £500-£600 is an ouch at the moment but i guess its less than the cost of a rebuild
Old 13 October 2015, 10:42 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Any suggestions on a Wideband AFR gauge at a good price? and from where?
Old 13 October 2015, 10:45 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

def have it checked as you have activity in all three areas where knock is detected. the FLKC and also FBKC and the IAM.
Old 13 October 2015, 10:48 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying don't map your own car but you need the right tools to do the job.
Have you taken any logs of the stock rom that you had in before you put the generic one in?
Old 13 October 2015, 10:50 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Newbie mistake but no original logs as i changed the parts on the car then got the cable and as the car was quite bad to drive after, i went straight for a base map that i could log against and map to suit the car.
Old 14 October 2015, 09:49 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel like i've been summoned here?

Good for you for having a go, by some of the reports on here your car should've drove backwards and made planes fall out of the sky because you plugged an open source cable into it

For widebands - I use the Innovate MTX-L but the AEM Uego provides great logs with romraider as well as I've never had a bad log from one (my serial converter for the MTX can be a little jumpy sometimes).

Firstly, your logging too many things at once. As well as not being able to see the wood for the trees your also slowing down the number of samples per second the logger can get from the ECU. If you log maybe 5 or 10 parameters you'll see the logging rate increase (look in the bottom corner to see samples/second counter, higher is better).

Secondly, log the things that are relevant to what you want to do - if your interested in timing, log timing related only. It's very easy to miss a knock event in the logger because of the amount of info your requesting from the ECU. Remember that little sucker is also running your car so the logging output is like someone tapping you on the shoulder 15 times a second sayin "hey what you doin there" whilst your trying to do brain surgury from a haynes manual.

Thirdly, as said above - generic maps are pretty generic. A good generic map (like the ones used on PPP cars) will accommodate a lot of things but generally a stage 2 map will be quite specific to a set of modifications. If the map says 2.5" downpipe and you have a 3" downpipe it's messed up. If it's tuned for a particular brand of intake pipe and you don't have it? Tunes messed up.

Your knock correction values are quite large as has already been mentioned, coupled with that the amount of fuel correction going on leads me to believe there could be a leak somewhere or the tune doesn't match the mods. Your pulling timing consistently at all RPM's by quite some amount. When the IAM is reduced you've already pulled a bunch of timing across the whole table, but your fine learning correction has pulled more timing and the knock sensor is still detecting knock in your feedback correction.

I'll drop you a PM with my email address if you want I'll take a look at your map and see if we can't get you hooked up right.
Old 14 October 2015, 12:45 PM
James H
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
I feel like i've been summoned here?

Good for you for having a go, by some of the reports on here your car should've drove backwards and made planes fall out of the sky because you plugged an open source cable into it

For widebands - I use the Innovate MTX-L but the AEM Uego provides great logs with romraider as well as I've never had a bad log from one (my serial converter for the MTX can be a little jumpy sometimes).

Firstly, your logging too many things at once. As well as not being able to see the wood for the trees your also slowing down the number of samples per second the logger can get from the ECU. If you log maybe 5 or 10 parameters you'll see the logging rate increase (look in the bottom corner to see samples/second counter, higher is better).

Secondly, log the things that are relevant to what you want to do - if your interested in timing, log timing related only. It's very easy to miss a knock event in the logger because of the amount of info your requesting from the ECU. Remember that little sucker is also running your car so the logging output is like someone tapping you on the shoulder 15 times a second sayin "hey what you doin there" whilst your trying to do brain surgury from a haynes manual.

Thirdly, as said above - generic maps are pretty generic. A good generic map (like the ones used on PPP cars) will accommodate a lot of things but generally a stage 2 map will be quite specific to a set of modifications. If the map says 2.5" downpipe and you have a 3" downpipe it's messed up. If it's tuned for a particular brand of intake pipe and you don't have it? Tunes messed up.

Your knock correction values are quite large as has already been mentioned, coupled with that the amount of fuel correction going on leads me to believe there could be a leak somewhere or the tune doesn't match the mods. Your pulling timing consistently at all RPM's by quite some amount. When the IAM is reduced you've already pulled a bunch of timing across the whole table, but your fine learning correction has pulled more timing and the knock sensor is still detecting knock in your feedback correction.

I'll drop you a PM with my email address if you want I'll take a look at your map and see if we can't get you hooked up right.
Hiya mate. Really appreciate your help on this and I have your pm and will log all the data on my way home today then upload everything once I'm home. Cheers
Old 14 October 2015, 12:48 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

good stuph - don't go too hard as based on your knock amounts I'd rather see what your working with but save the logging parameters so you can use them later.