Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Putting Downpipe Cat Back On, Remap Required?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2015, 04:17 PM
14500rpm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting Downpipe Cat Back On, Remap Required?

Hi All,

A while back I bought an 2003 Blob WRX wagon with a turbo back 2.5in system, all the cats had been removed and it had a remap of unknown origin.

The problem is this won't pass a MoT due to the lack of cats so I've got an OEM Subaru downpipe to put on it, I'll also be changing the backbox for a Prodrive one (noise) and keeping the centre section which is just a straight 2.5 in pipe with no silencer in it. The question is will this need another remap to suit? I may be able to get a Prodrive ECU, would this be a better option to go with the new exhaust configuration?

I don't really want to spend a load of money on the car at this point as it is just my road car.
Old 14 August 2015, 09:16 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I think that as you don't know what current map it has on it AND you are changing the exhaust, it would be wise to have a mapper give it a once over. What other changes does the car have - fuel pump, injectors etc or is it completely stock? Cheapest way I would imagine would be to fit the CAT for the MoT and then remove it again. That would give you 12months to decide what to do/save up - that's assuming that it was remapped when it was decatted.

Alternatively, you can pick up Sports Cats for a couple of hundred, which may be the way to go, as you'd only need a pump, filter and remap for big gains. Comes down to money though.

How urgent is this, as I have a Prodrive ECU that I am considering remapping.
Old 14 August 2015, 10:10 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

maybe there is someone local to you with an openport cable who could check the map on the car - wouldn't be an impossible task to have them flash a PPP map on to it then you could stick the standard downpipe on and drive away at it. If your planning to keep the car for a while and your not in to chopping and changing parts then a sports cat downpipe will be the best of both worlds for you. Don't forget the standard downpipe will have 2 cats in it - but you should only need 1 to get through your test.
Old 14 August 2015, 01:56 PM
14500rpm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I have since spoken to Neil at Slow Boy Racing and he has confirmed it'll probably need a once over on the map so will hopefully be booking it in with him to have all the work done