Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

forester sti mapping

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2015, 08:49 AM
lennyd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forester sti mapping

How's it going. Planning on picking up an 04 forester sti in the next month or so and the first thing I want to get done is a remap for 97ron (best we can get here in N. Ireland ).

Quick question. What's the best supporting mods to do with it? I know with the legacy it was fuel pump, better air filter, exhaust and prf(?)7 spark plugs. Is it the same story for the 2.5 forester?

Cheers
Lenny
Old 06 May 2015, 03:49 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it's basically the 2.5 STI engine in there so should follow the standard set of upgrades to release the ponies. What you have there and a decent map loaded up you'll have a flying machine!

The timing map on those is something fierce so make sure and bring some octane booster when picking up and try not to boost on it too hard until you get the map updated. The IAM will drop anyway on our ratpiss fuel but no point making it struggle needlessly.

I can switch out the timing/fuel tables with UK ones if you want just give me a shout.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:38 PM
lennyd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been doing a bit of reading and people saying for that level fuel pump and the cooler 7 plugs aren't necessary?

I have a k&n panel filter and an apexi cone one, a 3 port solenoid and a hrc 310lph fuel pump from my legacy gtb. Is there any point in fitting no.7 plugs and I know the legacy ran like a dog as the mechanic didn't gap the plugs to .65mm is the jdm 2.5 going to need the same gapping or can I just throw them in? Also is there any other things I should do before Mr Rawle gets his hands on it that won't break the bank bar a service and check over of brakes, tyres etc

Sorry about all the questions but I know very little about this and want to get it right first time
Old 06 May 2015, 09:59 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

on a standard car no they wouldn't be necessary, the plugs you'd be on the verge of needing I would say, maybe make a choice to suit your driving style (driven with spirit then go for the 7's, mostly cruising the strip then go with the stockers) - but even standard plugs will be poor running if not gapped correctly.

I would go with the k&n filter over the apexi cone unless you have some kind of heat shielding for it.

As for things to look over just give the car a proper once over and make sure all is working as expected. If you have a boost gauge fitted make sure your hitting/holding your boost OK (or as best as you can with the JDM maps on - again get the octane booster in there).

if your not planning on running octane boost regularly then make sure it's all out of the system before getting the car mapped. No point in spending money getting quality map work for a fuel setup that you won't have the next time you fill up.