Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

New STI - Bricking it.

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2015, 09:03 PM
Whizo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New STI - Bricking it.

Hi guys

I have put down a deposit on a 2006 STI Type UK (Hawkeye). I have had a few WRX's in the past and never had issues. I have read tons about the piston issues with the STI and the need to have the engine forged. I have looked into the cost of this and its around £1500-2500!!

My question is should I have this work done asap after I get the car or should I hang fire and hope it never happens? I didn't factor in this cost when I was looking for the car, it's making me have second thoughts about buying the car now
Old 05 May 2015, 09:36 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself if you're going to be able to drive the car with confidence and not be worrying all the time about it going wrong.

If no you have answered your own question.

Me personally wouldn't give a toss and drive it until it needed doing. I know people personally who run these mapped with all sorts of pops and bangs etc and still going strong, yet I've had one fail on me with a RB320.

If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen, **** all you can do about it, and quite clearly the people before you didn't worry about it and didn't rush in to forging it.

Just drive it and be happy, if it goes pop then shìt happens
Old 05 May 2015, 09:51 PM
Whizo
Scooby Newbie

Lol mate, good reply. There seems to be so much conflicting info out there. I have read lots and lots about the 2.5l being really fragile and it being a time bomb.

But on the other hand, I have spoken to many respected engine builders, and all say that the 2.5 is fine and you only need to forge it if you start to push near 400bhp. In fact the only thing most of these guys suggest is a simple remap to better performance and economy.

Have a read of this -

http://www.racedynamix.co.uk/remap/s...wkeye-2-5-sti/

It clearly says towards the bottom -

"The std EJ257 STi engine has been taken over 400bhp but really it is adviseable to swap the cast pistons for some forged pistons at this stage"

So you see my confusion, some people are saying that I've made a huge mistake in buying a STI but the guys who know these cars inside out are saying its all bull and the 2.5l lump is a strong engine.

Last edited by Whizo; 05 May 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05 May 2015, 10:19 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Looked after, serviced regularly, not thrashed within an inch of it's life on every journey then there is no reason for it to wrong.

You would think right every car has a different history, back ground etc, some one owner cars that have been loved and cherished have gone wrong, so on that argument you can see why people's opinions of them differ.

Just get on with it would be my advice, you bought the car you obviously liked and only now your opinion differs after reading up on the issue. You don't have to dive in to forging it, but just be mindful it 'may' have to happen at some point. If it does it ain't the end of the world, or at least to me anyway
Old 05 May 2015, 10:25 PM
Whizo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, like you said if it happens then it happens, not going to let it ruin my STI ownership.
Old 06 May 2015, 07:40 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Whizo
Thanks, like you said if it happens then it happens, not going to let it ruin my STI ownership.

sadly its not a case of IF but WHEN it goes.. also I think your price for repair is alittle on the light side and should be up around 2.5-3k that would be for the VERY minimum work. but don't beat yourself up abit it... hindsight and all that....