Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Simtek ECU from Jap import WRX STi into UK WRX

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2015, 09:51 PM
RallyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek ECU from Jap import WRX STi into UK WRX

I've recently purchased a GEMS Simtek 5 plug ECU for my 2002 Impreza. The ECU was originally fitted to a WRX STI 2002 Jap Import and running 400bhp.

I realise that the ECU needs mapping for my car as it will have the map from the previous owner in it. However I need to check this is working before it gets too late to return it.

Would this ECU run my car for a few seconds by simply plugging it in or do I need to do anything before I plug it in ... I vaguely remember a WRX needs a couple of wires changing but unsure if true.

The car currently has a VF35 turbo, pink injectors, 3" decat.

Cheers
Old 29 April 2015, 10:49 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

On the classic,the crank and cam sensors need swapping,also the fuel pump pin needs moving. There are some ecu pin outs knocking around here somewhere,shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 30 April 2015, 01:50 PM
RallyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
On the classic,the crank and cam sensors need swapping,also the fuel pump pin needs moving. There are some ecu pin outs knocking around here somewhere,shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks Ossett2k2.

I've had more info on the wires and they are related to the cam and crank sensor signals being inverted on a non UK STi and I need to swap the wires around or remap for WRX ... Again no confirmation that this applies to classic and/or new age.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?
Old 01 May 2015, 11:20 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the gearbox neutral position switch would be different for you as well, the 6 speed and 5 speed are the other way around from each other so a setup for 1 wouldn't be suitable for the other.

*edit* also to answer your original question, no I wouldn't run without checking the map to make sure it's got the right injector settings for your car. Although you have pinks I'm guessing the car it came off probably had something bigger meaning the ECU won't be able to properly fuel your engine. Did it come with software to look at the map that's on the car?

Last edited by bludgod; 01 May 2015 at 11:27 AM.