Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

nitrous which ecu is best?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2015, 10:28 AM
Bananawasp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous which ecu is best?

I have a classic impreza turbo quite heavily modded and im wanting to add extra bhp using my nitrous kit which i have had installed on various cars i have owned. Im currently running an apexi ecu with commander. Can the nitrous be mapped ok with the apexi or am i best changing my ecu? I also have an apexi avcr managing boost. Would i get much money part ex for my setup against something like a simtek? Just wondered if many of you run nos and can give any advice.
Old 19 April 2015, 02:40 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my understanding is that current aftermarket ecu's don't have a nos strategy to control the nos system..
I tried to find out if I could run a dry kit through my Alkatec but didn't get any answers.
The Syvecs ecu may provide solution's as Jura ran nos through his to spool a big turbo but I understand JT Inovations did some work there.
The best is to set up the wet system in the normal way and then have it checked on the rollers which is what I am now doing. I'm expecting to run it on one of my two maps.
I'll know more at the end of the month as that's when it's on the rollers.
Trev
Old 19 April 2015, 04:52 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Syvecs does have full nos control and strategy, so can be used to control any setup I was planning on running a dry system through my old type r just never got round to fully mapping it in
Old 19 April 2015, 07:40 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Alcatek is available with nitrous control as an option on new units or as an rtb upgrade on existing units.
It works very well and we've done a number of cars on it including my drag car.
Old 19 April 2015, 07:53 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
The Syvecs ecu may provide solution's as Jura ran nos through his to spool a big turbo but I understand JT Inovations did some work there.
All we did was install a "solid state relay" and fuses/wiring to allow the Syvecs to directly control the NOS pulsoid. This allows the NOS to be injected (modulated) as the mapper wished using the Syvecs NOS strategy - an ordinary relay is not responsive enough (and the pulsoids draw 15A so can't be directly connected to the ECU).
Old 19 April 2015, 08:03 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
The Alcatek is available with nitrous control as an option on new units or as an rtb upgrade on existing units.
It works very well and we've done a number of cars on it including my drag car.
I haven't had any success this last 7 months.
Trev
Old 19 April 2015, 10:51 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I know one guy who running Wet NOS on his GC8 and he using Apexi PowerFC,which is OK for his needs,but as above if budget allows you then I would choose Syvecs

Yes Trev,Tim has fitted for us solid state relay and wired everything to Syvecs,really we can only recommend Tim,he done awesome job and everything has worked as we are expected

We are wanted to go as first turbo Blouch Dominator 3.0XT-R which has been quite big and we are wanted to use NOS for spool up,but at the end we are swapped this turbo for MDX321T and we didn't need to run NOS,but when NOS has been installed we are wanted at least to try that feel and has been worth it

Yes agree if injectors are limiting factor then I would go with Wet NOS system and should be great,if injectors are big,then Dry is best as you don't need to mess with fuel and is safer too,but really depends on more factors there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 21 April 2015, 01:10 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I haven't had any success this last 7 months.
Trev
I'm aware that questions can be difficult to get answers to if you ask the wrong people. AFAIK you haven't asked me ?

The Alcatek will control wet or dry systems and I've ran both types without issue.
If you have large enough injectors a dry system would be better as it's much less of a faff.

Last edited by MartynJ; 21 April 2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 21 April 2015, 04:17 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
I'm aware that questions can be difficult to get answers to if you ask the wrong people. AFAIK you haven't asked me ?

The Alcatek will control wet or dry systems and I've ran both types without issue.
If you have large enough injectors a dry system would be better as it's much less of a faff.
I'm disappointed as I'd purchased larger injectors for the dry system and upgrading to the wet system wasn't cheap but now stuck with it.
I'll look into upgrading the ecu in the winter when the car isn't needed.
thanks
Trev