Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Remap licence and DIY removal of auto blip

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2015, 04:45 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap licence and DIY removal of auto blip

Hi

Two and a half questions.

I had JGM remap my Spec D PPP a few years back and paid for the "licence" required. Bearing in mind JGM is no longer with us is it correct to say that my licence is included within my ECU rather than with JGM and that I do not need another one.

He included flat shifting and auto blipping in the map but I find the auto blip a waste of time. Anyway, my question is, is it possible for this function to be easily removed possibly with some open source software and an OBD adapter without affecting the rest of the maps and could I see if launch control was added at the same time?

Last edited by GeeDee; 16 September 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:32 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

The ECUTEK licence is transferable.

I would get another mapper to look at your issues.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:34 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

transferable but others can't tweak your map so expect a larger fee for your next ecutek mapping session..
Old 14 January 2015, 12:34 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think other ECUtek mappers can tweak the ECU if it hasn't been locked - the FFS triggering at the wrong time could just mean the clutch switch needs adjustment.
Old 14 January 2015, 12:38 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bludgod
I think other ECUtek mappers can tweak the ECU if it hasn't been locked - the FFS triggering at the wrong time could just mean the clutch switch needs adjustment.
No unfortunately that isn't the case, that is only possible if the person mapping it has that particular map mailed to them by the previous mapper.
Duncan may have it as I believe he and Simon came to an arrangement for Simons customers to have continued support.
Old 14 January 2015, 03:34 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
I thought that but have been told there is no clutch switch, I think by Simon when I queried it soon after the remap but I could be wrong on that count Maybe I'll climb in and have a look. I assume it is a mechanical switch on the pedal.

The frustrating thing is that the only reason I asked Simon to include it was because the PPP had the lower throttle settings to be so sensitive that it was virtually impossible to correctly blip the throttle using "heel and toe". I asked Simon if he could do anything with that and the improvement in usability meant I could do it myself again.

I appreciate this is a difficult question to answer, if not impossible, but is it likely that launch control would have been activated if I had asked for the flat shift and auto blip without realising launch control was available? Or, failing that, could anyone with launch control tell me what the revs are limited to so I can test it myself?

I would add that I have absolutely no intention of using it; I just want to know if it has it.

Does anyone know if Simon locked his maps?
Old 14 January 2015, 04:00 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be a clutch switch for sure, it's fitted as standard on all DBW cars.
And it's not that Simon locks his maps, it's that Ecutek automatically lock all of their tuners maps to protect tuners intellectual property.

Last edited by MartynJ; 14 January 2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 14 January 2015, 04:03 PM
jimmy31
Scooby Newbie

My car has the same type of map i.e Race Rom it was done by Andy forest and I can turn mine on or off by turning the ignition on pressing the accelerator to the floor then pressing the rear window heater switch twice this turns it on or off chances are yours could be the same.
Old 14 January 2015, 04:23 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy31
My car has the same type of map i.e Race Rom it was done by Andy forest and I can turn mine on or off by turning the ignition on pressing the accelerator to the floor then pressing the rear window heater switch twice this turns it on or off chances are yours could be the same.
I have two maps (one for VPower and one for 95 for when I'm on the continent and Super is not so common) which are activated by the throttle/heater switch.

Just out of interest, what indicates the change has been done on yours?
Old 14 January 2015, 04:33 PM
jimmy31
Scooby Newbie

The engine management light flashes and I can check its worked by engaging launch control to see if it holds the car at 4500 revs or lets it rev past this point if you get me
Old 14 January 2015, 05:04 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy31
The engine management light flashes and I can check its worked by engaging launch control to see if it holds the car at 4500 revs or lets it rev past this point if you get me
Thanks, the car revs answers a previous question but how do you engage launch control?
Old 14 January 2015, 06:07 PM
jimmy31
Scooby Newbie

Put car in first gear with clutch depressed press accelerator to the floor and the car should be held at a set rev limit i.e wont go to the red line mine is some where around the 4500 mark and when I deactivate the race rom it would rev to the redline when doing this. I think ive explained it correctly but if I haven't im sure some one will explain it better.
Old 20 January 2015, 11:52 AM
shanew
Scooby Regular

I have racerom on my 2007 hawk. For launch control I put it into neutral, press the rear demister button then into 1st and foot to the floor on the accelerator. The car holds the rev's around 4.5k until I lift off the clutch. I also have flat foot shifting so can keep the pedal nailed to the floor while changing gears too
Old 21 January 2015, 08:17 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I have racerom on my hatch and launch control is only active in sport or sport#,its automatic when I floor the clutch and accelerator and I can ajust via the cruise control buttons to what rpm I want ,,, took me a while to get used to driving with the auto blip and was going to get it removed but I have got used to it now and like having it there