Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

I have been a silly man

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2015, 01:03 AM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have been a silly man

Hi all,

New to this and after some advice although I do know I have been a silly man.

I have just bought a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.0 Turbo AWD (this is not the silly part as I do genuinley love the car with a passion so far)

The problem lies with the seller........and also me. I said all along I am gonna buy a car with good service history bla bla bla and that I have always wanted an Impreza. I went to view one locally to me and I fell in love straight away despite knowing it had a few issues.

What I am wondering is.....it was advertised with Prodrive Performance Package. I admit I did not do any research on this until I had bought this. I have done some research and questions are starting to arise. I know it consists of ECU. exhaust and also y-pipe. My question is....the backbox has prodrive written on it, the Y-pipe has prodrive written on it the ECU......I have had a look under the glovebox and just see a blackbox and not what anyone describes as the pro-drive ECU...am I looking in the right place as I think I have been miss-sold. I have emailed prodrive and awaiting a response. Maybe it is possible the previous owner had it installed but before sale removed ECU?? What effect does this have on the car if this is done? There was no certificate....infact hardly any paperwork with car (silly man)

Also I am silly as the car had no service history although some receipts of work done recently....

Its in the garage tomorrow for a new clutch as was slipping and also a Full service. I will be taking car of the car but I couldnt help it after seeing it and also always wanting one....be easy on the abuse lol.

Bought for £1300 with 69,000 miles on the clock with new discs and pads all round (receipt for proof) also had a service and MOT in August 2014 also receipt as proof. Advertised with clutch slipping and also Prodrive ECU, Decat exhaust, prodrive back box and also prodrive Y-Pipe.

Any advice and help greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes
Lee
Old 12 January 2015, 01:04 AM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

*taking care of the car supposed to say lol
Old 12 January 2015, 02:16 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Ecu is under the passenger side footwell,it you pull back the carpet you will see a metal kick plate,unscrew the plate and you will see the ecu

Low mileage and if you can get the clutch done cheap enough then it's a good car at a reasonably cheap price,,,maybe not so silly after all mate

Last edited by ossett2k2; 12 January 2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12 January 2015, 06:41 AM
Reef
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure about your age car but on my Blobeye PPP it's just the map/program that's on the ECU that's different not the actual ECU itself.
Old 12 January 2015, 07:48 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Reef
I'm not sure about your age car but on my Blobeye PPP it's just the map/program that's on the ECU that's different not the actual ECU itself.
Does the ECU have a sticker on it to say it's been PPP'd?
Old 12 January 2015, 08:12 AM
Reef
Scooby Regular

No, mine doesn't have a sticker or anything like that.
Old 12 January 2015, 08:44 AM
Yardz
Scooby Regular

If it's been de catted it needs to be mapped only real way to tell is have a mapper look at it, regardless if prodrive ecu is present or not
Old 12 January 2015, 12:30 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Ring Prodrive, give them your number plate and in minutes they will tell you if the car has a PPP or not!
Old 12 January 2015, 01:04 PM
T25 DOC
Scooby Regular

It will have been mapped - not had the actual ECU swapped...same as mine.
Old 12 January 2015, 05:54 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

Looks like I have been a silly man after all.....

Car is in today getting clutch done £415 supplied and fitted. Thought it would be a good idea to get a full sevice done while its in there.

Phoned the garage to see when car will be ready and he started listing off alot of issues with the car which I cant remember off top of my head but will get the sheet tomorrow afternoon.

He also had someone in the garage today and recognised car as his old one (before the guy i bought from) and he advised that he had wrote the car off while drunk a couple years back.

Car did not have service history etc so just checked the Gov.uk website at all previous MOTS and there is nothing really that rings alarm bells.

Guy at the garage said that he would not pay to get the work done and should get shot of it. Feel like crying.Finally had my dream car thats not turned out to be my dream car after all. Full service history etc is a must on my next car. Dont know what to do. I remember something about the supsension on the back knackered, also am oil leak, a leak on a shaft somewhere new tyres all round, and some stuff to do with the lights. And something about all the bolts have been put in wrong or something.

waaaaahhhhhhhh
Old 12 January 2015, 06:02 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

You paid 1300 quid, if you can address the real issues 700 or less then what's the problem.

So long as the accident repairs are not unsafe it's do-able.

Nearly new tyres or a set of nice used alloys with road legal tyres would be on this list imo
Old 12 January 2015, 06:08 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

yeah £1300 for car just paid £600 for clutch and full sevice and thats without sorting anything that the guy mentioned on the phone. He said the car is not worth the amount of repairs needing done. Will find out more tomorrow.
Old 12 January 2015, 06:40 PM
Reef
Scooby Regular

When you get it post the list on here. I'm sure the guys on here could help you out with advice, etc.
Old 12 January 2015, 06:52 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Reef
When you get it post the list on here. I'm sure the guys on here could help you out with advice, etc.
Ok I will do. Its a gamble I took and it hasnt paid off as if I knew I was going to end up spending a fortune if I want to keep then I would have just bought a more expensive and probably relaible one. I can only make the call when I get the service sheet and price it all.
Old 13 January 2015, 12:53 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The Prodrive ecu on a MY 2000 classic could look similar to this:

Last edited by Sad Weevil; 13 January 2015 at 12:56 AM.