Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Standalone ECU advice on a newage

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2014, 09:14 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standalone ECU advice on a newage

Decided to go with a standalone ecu on my blob, just wondering what you have done when you fitted standalone on these cars?
There are several options, in the past when I have fitted standalone I have left the factory ecu in place on a few occasions, often left it running the fuel pump, rad fans, often can bus system still operated the stereo volume etc.
Obs my car has no can bus being basic Japanese electronics.
Quite happy to leave the subaru ecu in there and let it control the two rad fans, purge solenoid.
If I use the four injector wires, four Coil wires, coolant temp, VR input, TPS, iscv and the standalone can control fuel pump reylay and tach output. The impreza ecu will just think it's in a "key on engine not running" situation.
What have others done? I could rip the lot out and start again with the standalone, but why should I if it's not required, means more setting up getting the purge valve working (or do most people simply "do away" with it when going standalone?)
Intersted in people's experiences.
Thanks boosted

Last edited by boosted; 17 December 2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 17 December 2014, 03:22 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Not sure what you want achieve,but OE ECU is good starting point,with right tools and Carberry ROM you can have nice features,really depends on more factors

What you done on previous occasions you are left OE ECU in place and fitted only piggyback ECU which I'm strongly against this on any car,simply OE ECU can control what needs to control and can be mapped easily,due this is not point fitting some piggyback board/ECU

I would go with only one ECU and this ECU is Syvecs,is best ECU on market and simply is worth it

AlcaTek is OK too,really if budget is low,then this ECU can be good starting point and can be probably cheapest option,but really depends what you want to achieve and what you want to have and not to have

GEMS ECU are pain in ****,those ECU are mostly used in Group N and older SimTek has been based on GEMS board and think too new AlcaTek is too based on GEMS board

Link ECU is very similar,although friend has run this ECu with great success on his GTR(R32) and later on he switched to Syvecs

AEM thos eECU I wouldn't fit to my car,friend has run this on his car and has been pain to setup and map,pricewise is same price as Syvecs S6 Pnp(Plug And play)

MoTeC,I wouldn't brother with this ECU,same features has have Syvecs and with fully enabled features like Wideband,ALS etc you will end in region of the £3k

As I said,depends on more factors and from this I would go there

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 17 December 2014, 03:27 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11

What you done on previous occasions you are left OE ECU in place and fitted only piggyback ECU which I'm strongly against this on any car,simply OE ECU can control what needs to control and can be mapped easily,due this is not point fitting some piggyback board/ECU

Thanks,Jura
No you misunderstand.
I have ran full standalone ENGINE management, but have left the ecu controlling CAN BUS items like speedo, rev counter, fuel pump, fuel tank pressure sensor and purge valves, radio volume with road speed and so on.
Old 17 December 2014, 03:50 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

I already have the ecu.
It has built in 4 bar map sensor(3 bar boost capable)
Wideband input
ALS
Launch control
Nitrous injection control
16x16 fuel maps
12x12 ig maps
Boost control
Full Control of rev limiter, boost cut
Switchable maps
Tachometer output
Fuel pump control
Programmable outputs
ISCV control
And much more

Last edited by boosted; 17 December 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 17 December 2014, 03:53 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
No you misunderstand.
I have ran full standalone ENGINE management, but have left the ecu controlling CAN BUS items like speedo, rev counter, fuel pump, fuel tank pressure sensor and purge valves, radio volume with road speed and so on.
Standalone ECU is when you don't need to run OE ECU at all,why is then point to running OE ECU when standalone will take care of this,I would say no point,if ECU can't take care of standard thing like speedo,rev counter or CANbus then this ECU I wouldn't touch or use

Every standalone ECU(or better ECU) can do thsoe normal things like fuel pump,fuel tank pressure etc without the questions,if not then you need to pay bit more

You are run only piggyback ECU if I remember correctly(AEM),second ECU which you are run has been Megasquirt which is standalone ECU

Difference between the standalone and piggyback is this

http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tu...tandalone.html

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 17 December 2014, 04:02 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Do you map your own cars?
I ran my MS ecu in my bug, but left the std subaru ecu on the car doing quite a few things.
The engine management (spark and fuelling) was still standalone.

Last edited by boosted; 17 December 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 17 December 2014, 04:19 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Do you map your own cars?
I ran my MS ecu in my bug, but left the std subaru ecu on the car doing quite a few things.
The engine management (spark and fuelling) was still standalone.
Hi there

I've not mapped my Subaru,that's for sure,I wouldn't be 100% comfortable to map car when engine cost crazy money

I've mapped only my Honda Civic Type R with Hondata KPRO(which is piggyback ECU in many ways),but we are ditched this ECU due the features which offered us

Agree MS is good ECU which has have good features and is not so expensive as other ECU,but leaving there OE ECU and using only MS for doing few basic things not sure there,if this is correct way

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2014, 04:23 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Agree MS is good ECU which has have good features and is not so expensive as other ECU,but leaving there OE ECU and using only MS for doing few basic things not sure there,if this is correct way

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Opposite way around, MS doing the VERY important things (controlling every aspect of the engine)
Subaru ecu doing a few basic things, fuel pump on/off, fans on/off etc
Hope this clarifies
Old 17 December 2014, 04:30 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Opposite way around, MS doing the VERY important things (controlling every aspect of the engine)
Subaru ecu doing a few basic things, fuel pump on/off, fans on/off etc
Hope this clarifies
Thanks for clarifying

I think on MS you can use Spare Outputs for controlling the fans etc,for Fuel pump I think you can use relay and wire it,as few guys have issue with MS when fuel pump has been constant on,but think this has been sorted

Thanks,Jura
Old 17 December 2014, 06:00 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Ok. Not many (if any) people running standalone on
My budget and doing all the work fitting and mapping themselves.
I have a plan, and so will just stick with it.
Cheers
Old 17 December 2014, 07:27 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why standalone at all though when oem ecu can be flashed for price of openport 2.0 cable and can offer nearly all the functions you want. It wont control nitrous or have autotune using wideband in full closed loop though, if thats what your after.
Old 17 December 2014, 07:56 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by euan_r
why standalone at all though when oem ecu can be flashed for price of openport 2.0 cable and can offer nearly all the functions you want. It wont control nitrous or have autotune using wideband in full closed loop though, if thats what your after.
Not familiar with te system, also sounds like a ballache to map, reading roms, modding, re flashing all sounds long winded.
I might of had a go if there was someone local to show me the ropes, but I'm
Not prepared to start learning a while new system on my road car that I need for work.
MS was only £170 delivered, I have been using this system for 12 years now so am very familiar, a basic map will be LIVE mapped in under an hour from scratch on any setup, logging and fine tweakes can be done thereafter.
Personal preference more than anything else, it's the easy option for me, plus there's nothing wrong with it.
Live mapping is quick
Old 17 December 2014, 09:48 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there

Not sure what you want achieve,but OE ECU is good starting point,with right tools and Carberry ROM you can have nice features,really depends on more factors

I would go with only one ECU and this ECU is Syvecs,is best ECU on market and simply is worth it

AlcaTek is OK too,really if budget is low,then this ECU can be good starting point and can be probably cheapest option,but really depends what you want to achieve and what you want to have and not to have

GEMS ECU are pain in ****,those ECU are mostly used in Group N and older SimTek has been based on GEMS board and think too new AlcaTek is too based on GEMS board

Link ECU is very similar,although friend has run this ECu with great success on his GTR(R32) and later on he switched to Syvecs

AEM thos eECU I wouldn't fit to my car,friend has run this on his car and has been pain to setup and map,pricewise is same price as Syvecs S6 Pnp(Plug And play)

MoTeC,I wouldn't brother with this ECU,same features has have Syvecs and with fully enabled features like Wideband,ALS etc you will end in region of the £3k

As I said,depends on more factors and from this I would go there

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Sorry but I have to correct you there.
Alcatek ecus new or old have nothing to do with Gems.

The new SimTek ecus are based on Gems boards and base software. They are far from a pain in the *** and are in fact very good to use having most of the functionality of a Syvecs.

To the op, yes a ms ecu will work but to be fair it'll never drive like it would on a proper ecu
Old 17 December 2014, 10:16 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running dual ECU's is asking for trouble.
Have seen somebody do it on the cheap like that before and it caused no end of issues.
If you keep your eyes open an Alcatek can be had for £500 and will plug straight in and controls everything you ever need. I am no expert but if you know how to map a car already it won't be that hard to work out how to work another ECU's software and functionality.
Old 17 December 2014, 10:17 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ

To the op, yes a ms ecu will work but to be fair it'll never drive like it would on a proper ecu
A set of carbs works too....
I know exactly what your saying.
It can't be done cheaper than £166 though can it? That's all my ecu cost me. You can get a car driving very well with MS, if mapped properly of course
Out of interest. Why won't a MS drive as well as a "proper ecu"?

Last edited by boosted; 17 December 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 17 December 2014, 10:21 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Running dual ECU's is asking for trouble.
Have seen somebody do it on the cheap like that before and it caused no end of issues.
If you keep your eyes open an Alcatek can be had for £500 and will plug straight in and controls everything you ever need. I am no expert but if you know how to map a car already it won't be that hard to work out how to work another ECU's software and functionality.
£500 is too dear, I can't justify that money on a ten year old impreza, when a £166 ecu will do 99% of what it's asked.
I've been running two ecu's for a year/8000 miles now, no probs at all. I guess it all depends on who has done it and how well they have done what they've done.
Old 17 December 2014, 11:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Sorry but I have to correct you there.
Alcatek ecus new or old have nothing to do with Gems.

The new SimTek ecus are based on Gems boards and base software. They are far from a pain in the *** and are in fact very good to use having most of the functionality of a Syvecs.

Thanks for correcting me

I've drove the car with GEMS ECU and really I wouldn't want this ECU,agree this is down to the mapper as on every ECU,but this is with every ECU

Functionality of Syvecs,how to say,we are went with Syvecs due the functions and features,I've run Syvecs on Subaru or on Honda Civic Type R and next car will be again running Syvecs

Thanks,Jura

£500 is too dear, I can't justify that money on a ten year old impreza, when a £166 ecu will do 99% of what it's asked.
I've been running two ecu's for a year/8000 miles now, no probs at all. I guess it all depends on who has done it and how well they have done what they've done.
£500 is not dear there,we run on our wagon Syvecs and wagon has been 14 year old,after that we run Syvecs on the Civic Type R and Syvecs ECU with all in cost similar money as used Civic Type R with reasonable mileage

Really depends on what you want from ECU,OE features are OK and I would be happy if I'm not looking on other features and if OE ECU allow me to run multiple maps or run multiple boost levels,ALS,LC and have proper CANbus support,multiple inputs or outputs then I would stick with OE ECU,as I said on my previous replies,depends on what you want to achieve

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 18 December 2014, 08:19 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

I just want to be able to have full control of my fuel and ignition timing. And to me, this is the easiest way to do it.
And I think I have found the answer to my OP, the majority of people putting standalone on an impreza are paying a premium for something that has the correct plug(s) on it and thus meaning no wires will be harmed in the process, the smoke will remain in the wires.
Thanks for those who got involved in the thread
Old 18 December 2014, 05:32 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A set of carbs works too....
I know exactly what your saying.
It can't be done cheaper than £166 though can it? That's all my ecu cost me. You can get a car driving very well with MS, if mapped properly of course
Out of interest. Why won't a MS drive as well as a "proper ecu"?
Poor resolution in terms of the map size and the accuracy of timing/fueling, poor processing speed, no closed loop knock control and very limited in terms of features for starters. I could go on and on but you get the point

I've mapped plenty of Megasquirt ecus on throttle body equipped NASP kit cars and a couple on turbo cars. It's all well and good for those on a really tight budget but I wouldn't run one on my Impreza