Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Will a remap sort problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2014, 12:22 PM
TurboFreak
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will a remap sort problem?

I have had running issues with my P1 after another engine was fitted, was fast but had lumpy idle when hot.
Things got worse a few weeks later and went through a educated process of elimination as car would sometimes pull back badly.
New MAF, COILPACK, LEADS, PLUGS, LAMBDA SENSOR but still had issue.
Injectors or seals were suspect so just fitted new 550s in place of the stock 440s.
Mechanic thought car was now ok but as soon as I went to drive it hard it pulled back big time, then run like s**t as it was over fueling.
My question is could this now just be because it requires a remap to suite the new injectors?
I want it set up on rolling road with JGM but would not like to drive it the 40 miles to rolling road with it running so rich, then find a remap was not the reason for poor running.
Old 09 May 2014, 12:33 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You have fitted bigger injectors and not mapped for them and wondering why its not running right? defo needing mapped mate
Old 09 May 2014, 12:50 PM
TurboFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
You have fitted bigger injectors and not mapped for them and wondering why its not running right? defo needing mapped mate
It was never running right, and always intended to get a remap when the original running issues were resolved.
My problem is there is no way of being sure the original problem has been sorted by fitting injectors, also that the drive to get car set up with JGM on rolling road is about 40 miles.
If I drive car not using boost then maybe it would be ok?
Old 09 May 2014, 01:37 PM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be ok to drive up there mate. Im guessing you mean to Surrey Rolling Road? I live near Gatwick and drove up there wednesday after fitting a whole load of bits including bigger injectors. Just drive like a total granny. I barely went over 2000rpm and had no issues at all.

Nobody can guarantee your problems will be resolved on the rollers but I suspect it would be a good place to start! At least everything that can be put right, will be put right and might help identify the problem or narrow down the possibilities if nothing else!

I wouldnt be driving hard until such time though
Old 09 May 2014, 08:14 PM
TurboFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STOOBOY
It should be ok to drive up there mate. Im guessing you mean to Surrey Rolling Road? I live near Gatwick and drove up there wednesday after fitting a whole load of bits including bigger injectors. Just drive like a total granny. I barely went over 2000rpm and had no issues at all.

Nobody can guarantee your problems will be resolved on the rollers but I suspect it would be a good place to start! At least everything that can be put right, will be put right and might help identify the problem or narrow down the possibilities if nothing else!

I wouldnt be driving hard until such time though
I have been thinking exactly the same as you.. I think I need to drive it local first and make sure it will be ok if I stick to low revs and no turbo.

It seemed like it was fine until I went to floor it, then it just pulled back and run like crap until it had been left to cool down.

Did you use JGM ?
Old 09 May 2014, 09:25 PM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboFreak
I have been thinking exactly the same as you.. I think I need to drive it local first and make sure it will be ok if I stick to low revs and no turbo.

It seemed like it was fine until I went to floor it, then it just pulled back and run like crap until it had been left to cool down.

Did you use JGM ?
Yep Simon did my mapping. Surely if your car starts, idles and drives it will make it there. Just drive like a fanny! I really wouldn't drive it around, let alone hard until it's mapped. I'm no expert but if it is running rich you will lead to other problems such as bore wash etc.

You could always book a home visit/road map to save the worry of driving there?

Drop Simon an email. He'll give you solid advice on what's best. Hope you get it sorted