Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Question

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2013, 12:12 AM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question

Can worn front anti roll bar bushes have an effect on the steering? I only ask because sometimes when I'm driving in a straight line the car seems to try and change course (ever so slightly) which doesn't feel quite right to me, as none of my other scoobs have done this.
Old 31 December 2013, 12:16 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Sounds like that could be tramlining? Like the car is finding a slight dip in the road and snatches the steering making you change course?

Tyres are the biggest influence on tramlining that I've found, stiffer sidewall (trackday tyres) seem worse for it, but is rarely a problem on track surfaces.

If there's a local bit of road which allows you to easily replicate it, perhaps have a play with tyre pressures.
Old 31 December 2013, 01:07 PM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Sounds like that could be tramlining? Like the car is finding a slight dip in the road and snatches the steering making you change course?

Tyres are the biggest influence on tramlining that I've found, stiffer sidewall (trackday tyres) seem worse for it, but is rarely a problem on track surfaces.

If there's a local bit of road which allows you to easily replicate it, perhaps have a play with tyre pressures.
Yes you could be on to something there mate, I'm looking to change the wheels and tyres in the next couple of weeks so I will see if it makes any difference, but in the meantime I will have a play with the tyre pressures.

Thanks
Old 03 January 2014, 12:31 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on. It was really bad in my Impreza when I first got it, but I've changed so much stuff, I don't know what actually fixed it

I think it was the change of tyres which did it, and I noticed it significantly worse when driving to and from a trackday on my R888's.
Old 03 January 2014, 02:41 PM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks mate, I will keep you posted