Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Inside rear wheel lifting- any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2012, 11:19 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside rear wheel lifting- any suggestions?

In our local event I have seen pics of my car cornering and lifting the inside rear wheel which isn't ideal.

Car is caged and poly bushes, with bc's set 3 clicks softer at the rear but overall fairly stiff, and a 22 mm rear arb.

I use 2.5 degrees of camber on the front, and 2 on the rear.

Would appreciate any input from people who have has this- it is event driving and I am using super soft kumhos so catr is being driven hard, but because I have standard diffs the rear spins up.
Old 12 August 2012, 05:38 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough droop on the BC's to accomodate hard cornering. Had the same issue myself. Tried everything including roll bar changes geo changes etc etc. In the end had to bite the bullit and change the coilovers.
I assume you are using either the BR or RM series.
Old 12 August 2012, 05:39 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had rebound issues if the rears were set within 4 clicks of full hard.
Old 20 September 2012, 04:10 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Without spending a lot, all I can think of is increase preload in your back shocks a bit. As the back outer goes onto the bump, the car pivots on it and lifts . Another option is to raise ride height at front.

You car rotates under cornering load through an axis defined by your front and rear roll cantres. Lowering the car drops the roll centres. AS Standard a Subaru tends to have an axis that slopes down at the back, lifting a front wheel first and understeering as a result. If you lower it, you can alter the angle as you have appeared to do.

The amount the car wants to roll is determined by the distance from the centre of gravity to the roll centre, giving a moment arm or torque, that twists the car onto the springs. The Anti-roll bar resists this and changes the spring rates increasing the outer and softening the inner spring.

Raising all four corners will reduce the roll moment and total roll, giving you more grip.

Try 5mm at a time and you should feel the car pivot differently. Find what works and make a note!

Best of luck.
Old 21 September 2012, 08:33 AM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciated thanks- I'm getting it re mapped first, then downgeared and a rear LSD then back to handling before next match!