Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

How to get Oversteer for a Newbie ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 05:27 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get Oversteer for a Newbie ?

im new to my scoob.

I have done some drifting* in a nice Merc sl & Clk but never 4wd and never on the roads.

Just got my scoob, i am yet to push it, and was wondering what circumstances will cause a bit of oversteer and how brutal to spin it would be.

With the merc's it was a case of the right speed with the right amount of power to brake traction, you kinda felt the back end float just before the slide began.

Should i just give it some welly going round a round about and see what happens or is some brave brake turn in power on with a 2nd gear clutch dump reguired?

Counter steer required? I believe the best is to just point where i want to go to avoid a tank slapper.

Im not after fully sideways, just a nice little slide/rear end wiggle to begin with.

*i say drifting, it was just lots of oversteer and the cars werent mine.
Old 27 November 2008, 05:39 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit a thicker rear Anti roll bar, makes easy & sharper turn in with tail out easier
Old 27 November 2008, 06:55 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

expect some hefty tank slapping from a scoob without much practice
Old 27 November 2008, 08:18 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

yeah figures. just gotta resist the urg to counter steer too much i guess

Where you lot learn, just hooning around or take the car somewhere desolate like a car park or lorry park
Old 27 November 2008, 08:21 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

will 2nd gear power out of a round about do the trick. I can get it pretty much moving sideways, but all wheels evenly tractioned. i.e. no understeer or over steer.

When it goes will it be quite abrupt?The mercs had so much power a little twitch would get them going, however their power delivery was much different to a scoob and ofc rwd.

I guess ill get myself on a scoob ralley day to learn the ropes.
Old 27 November 2008, 10:21 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Did an airfield instruction day, which was superb, and learnt some pretty surprising things about how the car responds. For example, turning sharp left at 80 mph then getting on the brakes - doesn't cause a spin, brings you to a safe stop as long as you don't release the brake again.

Another one - taking the same corner at 70 with one finger on the wheel - the car will automatically steer into the skid for you, which is why you shouldn't grip the wheel to tightly. No-one can react quick enough to catch an unexpected slide much above 60.

And when understeering - reducing the steering angle will actually tighten your line.

And lastly - it's difficult to get a standard WRX to oversteer without doing something fairly drastic.

I highly recommend this:

Car Limits
Old 27 November 2008, 11:19 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

ok good info.

There seems to be no definitive site for action days, air field days, track days, euro meets, jap meets etc.

Unless im not looking in the right place?
Old 27 November 2008, 11:21 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

£400 quid and you have to bring your own car?!
Old 27 November 2008, 11:43 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

£190 if you have 4 of you and the benefit of doing it in your own car is that you learn its limits, not just how to spin an Elise. Doing it in another car might improve your skills, but it won't tell you anything about what happens in your car when it loses grip.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:00 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

driver training days on sidc are usually about £150 each in your own car
Old 28 November 2008, 01:50 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt mind doing one of those,i'm getting a bit fed up spinning on track
Old 28 November 2008, 03:29 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

yeah. i think they are doing on on eht 7th of dec near essex.

Might get myself on the next one in jan some time.
Old 28 November 2008, 10:24 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

I will be up for a day out doing this.
Old 30 November 2008, 07:22 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by escott
Did an airfield instruction day, which was superb, and learnt some pretty surprising things about how the car responds. For example, turning sharp left at 80 mph then getting on the brakes - doesn't cause a spin, brings you to a safe stop as long as you don't release the brake again.

Another one - taking the same corner at 70 with one finger on the wheel - the car will automatically steer into the skid for you, which is why you shouldn't grip the wheel to tightly. No-one can react quick enough to catch an unexpected slide much above 60.

And when understeering - reducing the steering angle will actually tighten your line.

And lastly - it's difficult to get a standard WRX to oversteer without doing something fairly drastic.

I highly recommend this:

Car Limits
These days come highly recommended from anyone that actually goes on them
Old 30 November 2008, 10:03 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark1983
Yeah, I couldn't believe how much I learned in the first hour alone! Plus you have the opportunity to do some stupid things and see how the car reacts with loads of space around you and no chance of crashing. We also had a play around in each others cars (a 330 and a REVO Cupra R) and had the best instructor you can imagine - Andrew Walsh (google him).

I'm going to do another one early next year - getting a few suspension mods this week and want to fully test the differences.

I would say that in addition to the cost, it is pretty hard on tyres, how much is up to you though.
Old 01 December 2008, 07:59 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Yeah my name will be done for one next year. Will be pushing the finances too much this month i think.
Old 01 December 2008, 11:24 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

hi, all the advanced driving type stuff above looks really interesting and a brilliant idea!

I found that a few "classic" situations induced overstear in my wagon;
trail breaking in the wet into a corner that was tighter then i thought brought the back end round very progressively and smoothly but enough that i had to use some opposite lock. Probably don't want to try that one....

The first time was in the wet too (ahem) where i went round a 90degree bend slow but still too fast if you know what i mean, expected understear, got it, lifted and sh@ myself as i got a tankslapper on the go over a small bridge. think i'd only had the car a week, and again i would not recomend you give that exact scenerio a shot!

I have however got power overstear, gain in the wet, out of a tight turn in second gear. only time i tried it deliberately and it worked!

I may laugh but in reality i do take my driving seriously!
Ash
Old 02 December 2008, 06:49 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

I guess power oversteer may require some new arbs. My power out of a corner makes 4 wheel slide rather than back end out if you know what i mean. It just tugs itself round.

Guess the corners are not tight enough. yeah i might go find a quiet roundabout in the wet and see what happens. Or more likley. get myself on the odd skid day.
Old 04 December 2008, 10:29 AM
WRX225
Scooby Newbie

i only had mine 4 a few months n in the wet n ice bk end gets out nice with cheep tyers on but when had the expensive on it was almost imposable
Old 10 December 2008, 08:22 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Couldn't agree more, you'll get a better performance gain by learning how to drive properly than you will from adding another 50bhp to the car.

Andy Walsh is god
Old 19 December 2008, 12:18 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
im new to my scoob.

I have done some drifting* in a nice Merc sl & Clk but never 4wd and never on the roads.

Just got my scoob, i am yet to push it, and was wondering what circumstances will cause a bit of oversteer and how brutal to spin it would be.

With the merc's it was a case of the right speed with the right amount of power to brake traction, you kinda felt the back end float just before the slide began.

Should i just give it some welly going round a round about and see what happens or is some brave brake turn in power on with a 2nd gear clutch dump reguired?

Counter steer required? I believe the best is to just point where i want to go to avoid a tank slapper.

Im not after fully sideways, just a nice little slide/rear end wiggle to begin with.

Don't know what scoob you have but on the RA's with DCCD you can get them to go tail happy with the diff control set to free, very predictable power slide when you get a good feel for it (I fitted a rear strut brace as well which has helped a lot as I like my cars a bit tail happy).
Old 19 December 2008, 07:36 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

could only afford the sti!
Old 20 December 2008, 08:11 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

i had it happen by accident the first time just gave it more power than was needed in second out of a bend, i'd suggest just givin it more power out of a bend in second, but build up to it ,a little more each time till it slides, i'v never done it in the dry ,and each time i did it i just eased of the pedal and traction came back.

i'm going to look into those coarses mentioned above now,
Old 15 January 2009, 06:43 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

3 of us are doing the Car Limits day at North Wield, Essex on Monday 2nd Feb. 1 space left, £199 for the day.
Old 15 January 2009, 09:57 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

You lot should get on the Rocking Skid Training day!

Get your names down. Only 125 quid!
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-training.html

Yes my driving of the scoob has got alot better. Had a couple of little bits of oversteer, nothing massive. Really fun on the limit surprisingly forgiving. Seems quite easy to catch whatever is happening.

Yes steering input+power = a nice little slide.
Old 16 January 2009, 09:49 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

3 of us are doing the Car Limits day at North Wield, Essex on Monday 2nd Feb. 1 space left, £199 for the day.
Seriously tempted - my birthday week too!

Don't think I can get off work though, enjoy, it's a fantastic day.
Old 25 January 2009, 01:34 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Just been out today and pushing a little harder.

I have a good set of roundabouts which are dead and open near me. I find on the roundabouts themselves i just get miles of underseer with **** front tyres, however plenty of beans on the exit it will happily slide. not talking drifting but perhaps half a turn opposite lock. lots of fun.
Old 25 January 2009, 01:35 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Bring on Rockingham Skid Pad Day!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post8453661

3 Places left in the afternoon session!!
Old 25 January 2009, 08:10 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
im new to my scoob.

fit an anti lift kit and 24mm or 27mm rear arb then scandanavian flick like this

me having fun in my sons track car at knockhill.
BE CAREFUL the scoobie can bite back very quickly ,once you master the oversteer ,then try powersliding. keep a well topped up fuel tank when trying this,go to an old airfield or somewhare with a large expance of tarmac. if you get surge beware m8 ,when the power comes back in the front end will ****** you to the right violently .question how were you turning off the traction on the mercs you were driving geo
Old 25 January 2009, 08:18 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

im comming in your car sometime!!

Quick Reply: How to get Oversteer for a Newbie ?