Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

03 STI JDM - Oversteer ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2006, 04:46 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 STI JDM - Oversteer ?

had my 03 STI JDM with DCCD-A for about 3months now..
when i first had it it was oversteering/power sliding all the time.. that was with some RE040s. i thought it was the tyres or the tracking, then i got my self some Toyo T1R with 18's today then went to get my tracking done.. Everything was spott on!!!

and it still oversteer at roundabouts.. which it wont happen on all the scoobs i had before they all understeer

DCCD-A was set on auto

it was fun to drive but is this normal or there is something wrong?
Old 12 November 2006, 08:44 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to consider that loss of car control is simply when one wheel spins more or less than the others.

The 'A' only kicks in when it feels traction going, the drivetrain is effectively standard DCCD when it is at rest with more rear bias. You just beat it to the edge and have to factor that into your driving style.

Non DCCD imprezas have a more 50/50 split fixed so that when the weight is transfered to the outside front wheel it will more likely understeer, rather than oversteer.

At the end of the day the front wheels will always always pull you out of the slide, you just have to decide if there will be enough road before that happens.

If you need an example of having to change driving style to fit a car, try an EVO GSR. When good drivers first get in them, they make the mistake of turning into a slide (as you would if you are used to it in a scoob), before the ECU does. result = over compensation as the ECU corrects it.
Bad drivers and those that have learnt not to, just hang and wait for the ECU to correct it for them. Over simplified maybe, but one reason why a GSR is easy to drive on the limits.