Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

type 'r' info please

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2005, 03:33 PM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type 'r' info please

can some1 tell me why i keep hearing that type r's are a handfull if ur not used to them and that u need to adjust the diff to help you go quick round corners without loosing the rear end? wether ur a good driver or not surely the rear end never steps out in the dry b4 the front understeers etc.

cheers
Old 10 February 2005, 05:08 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V LTD sti type RA
can some1 tell me why i keep hearing that type r's are a handfull if ur not used to them and that u need to adjust the diff to help you go quick round corners without loosing the rear end? wether ur a good driver or not surely the rear end never steps out in the dry b4 the front understeers etc.

cheers

Hi mate.

Ive just recently brought a Type R after 7 other scoobys, and yes it is the most exciting and demanding drive Ive ever had!

I used to find with other scoobys that you would get a lot of understeer then maybe a bit of over steer and I fount the amount of understeer quite annoying.
Type R's and 22B's on the other hand I find the back end will step out alot sooner than a 4 door scoob, making it more of a driver's car.

Yes it is more of a handfull to drive cause you have to learn how to control the back end, trust the car, and keep your foot planted!! But once you trust the car, "have ***** of steel" you can go round a corner as fast as anything on the road.

You dont have to adjust the diff during cornering, just adjust your driving style!
The diff is set for normal driving, (i.e. dry roads, damp roads,) to wound all the way back. This ratio is about 75% of the power out the rear wheels and 25% out of the fronts, (hence the livley back end!). You can adjust the diff further forward, but you should only adjust it up 1 if its realy slippy and adjust it further up to 50- 50 ratio for gravle and snow or a fast santa pod pull off then wind it back once your going.

The back end on a Type R or 22B allways steps out before understeer happens wet or dry, not to everybody's liking but it's alot more fun!

Hope that answers it for you mate.

Cheers Shimy.

Last edited by Shimy Type R; 10 February 2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10 February 2005, 05:46 PM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

thanx
Old 10 February 2005, 06:14 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

ive had a type r for a few years

just got to say respect it or it will kill ya

that out of the way ITS SO MUCH FUN <<< BIG SMILES >>>

Old 10 February 2005, 06:17 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

i thought the sti type ra had the same diff set up but weighed less and had 4 drs
so should handle similar to type r
Old 10 February 2005, 06:39 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rhybeck
i thought the sti type ra had the same diff set up but weighed less and had 4 drs
so should handle similar to type r

No they handle completely different.

The type R, for normal driving, has most of its power through the rear wheels.
Where the RA has the power more evenly split front to back, so the back end wont be as livley.

Shimy.
Old 10 February 2005, 07:45 PM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

so basically in the type r u need the diff further forward to balance it out but in an ra as in my ra the rear sticks like glue even if in closed diff position.

ive only driven a 22b and that was a right handfull and i never had any confidence in it! my ra has amazing grip at rear and never need to move diff forward.
Old 10 February 2005, 07:46 PM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rhybeck
ive had a type r for a few years

just got to say respect it or it will kill ya

that out of the way ITS SO MUCH FUN <<< BIG SMILES >>>

so the type r is fun but bit on edge for pushing to the limit. id rather have confidence in a car knowing the back will never step out no matter how hard you drive it. prove quicker on track too i think
Old 11 February 2005, 10:25 AM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

so the type r is fun but bit on edge for pushing to the limit. id rather have confidence in a car knowing the back will never step out no matter how hard you drive it. prove quicker on track too i think

Youd be surprised mate at how well the type R's handle!

You need to drive one to be able to apretiate the drive as much as you would the looks.

If you can drive, you can handle a Type R.

Normal scoobs are brilliant, its just that it takes so much for the back to go that when it dose you've probably had to push it to the point of no return!

On a track you can go just as fast if not faster in a Type R, as you can a normal scoob,
The only difference is, is that the back slides instead of the front, making it easyer to steer through the bends while keeping your foot down, cause lets face it, no one likes understeer!

When you get understeer in a car its the wheels that are steering that are loosing traction, so your a bit lost if you need to steer through the bend, the only other alternative is to lift off the gas, which as soon as you do that you get your back sliding anyway.

It all depends on what you prefer, Understeer or Oversteer.

Shimy.

Last edited by Shimy Type R; 11 February 2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:02 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Torque split in a Type R is 35% front 65% rear in any diff position, the more you have the diff locked however means that if one axle loses traction the torque is transfered more quickly to the axle with traction.

With the diff open the car is more prone to oversteer, you can make the car understeer more by setting the diff further forward. Basically you have the best of both worlds as you set the way you want the car to handle, oversteer or understeer.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:27 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

All DCCD equiped cars have the same torque split (TypeR and Type RA).

Dave.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:32 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

And you can do handbrake turns without knackering the center diff!
Old 11 February 2005, 03:31 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
All DCCD equiped cars have the same torque split (TypeR and Type RA).

Dave.

Your rite mate they do.

But I think (V LTD sti type RA) is talking about an RA that hasnt got DCCD.

Shimy.
Old 11 February 2005, 04:55 PM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

so whats the truth please? 2 different stories there.

if the splits the same but the ra never looses the rear end then the ra is better handling, regardless of moving diff forward?!

Last edited by V LTD sti type RA; 11 February 2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11 February 2005, 06:27 PM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Glad to see this thread was wondering y every 1 said type rs are hard to drive as surely 65/35 ratio would still mantain decent grip.You guys should try driving a 400bhp rwd car no thats hard 2 drive round corners and as far as launches go you need to get into 3rd b4 theres any traction
Old 11 February 2005, 06:27 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

I think your missing the point mate.

You asked how a Type R handles and you've got the answer quite a few times.

You seem to have a very strange out look on a type R, and almost expecting people to tell you that an RA is superior to a Type R... If that's what your trying to get then its not guna happen, cause there both very impressive cars, they just handle differently.

As someone said before, "Basically you have the best of both worlds as you set the way you want the car to handle, oversteer or understeer."
And that's basically the benefit of a Type R Or 22B, you set it to how you want it.

Best thing to do mate is test drive one if your thinking about buying one, or race someone in one, and then you'll see exactly how they are.

Shimy.
Old 11 February 2005, 06:30 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Juliano
Glad to see this thread was wondering y every 1 said type rs are hard to drive as surely 65/35 ratio would still mantain decent grip.You guys should try driving a 400bhp rwd car no thats hard 2 drive round corners and as far as launches go you need to get into 3rd b4 theres any traction

400 BHP

f**k me that must be fast. Id like to see that on scooby clincs roller's.
Time for ear plugs!

What cars that then mate?

Last edited by Shimy Type R; 11 February 2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11 February 2005, 06:53 PM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shimy Type R
No they handle completely different.

The type R, for normal driving, has most of its power through the rear wheels.
Where the RA has the power more evenly split front to back, so the back end wont be as livley.

Shimy.
u say this (as above)

dave w says different?

which is correct please
Old 11 February 2005, 07:08 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

If the RA has DCCD then it will have the same torque split as a Type R, as said above. If the RA doesnt have DCCD then it will be more evenly split and less twitchy on the back end.
Old 11 February 2005, 07:15 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

u say this (as above)

dave w says different?

which is correct please

Oh Dear!

TypeR's and RA's of the same year have the same drive train.

Earler RA's (Before the first R's) were shorter geared and normally had less goodies on them as standard, and hence lighter. (have you ever weighed a window motor???).

The V Limited cars (99/00) had a slightly higher 5th gear to aid motorway cruising, which was seen as the downside. V Limited had a few other differences like a quick rack.

But essentially the typeR is no more than a handfull than a RA, although supposedly the 2dr shell is stiffer.
Old 11 February 2005, 07:18 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

if the splits the same but the ra never looses the rear end then the ra is better handling, regardless of moving diff forward?!
Maybe that particular RA had three bags of cement in the boot???
Apart from that, it must be ALIENS!!!!
Old 11 February 2005, 07:32 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

u say this (as above)

dave w says different?

which is correct please

Yes we did say to different thing's, cause dave w is on about an RA with DCCD, and i was on about a RA without DCCD.

If a RA has DCCD then yes it will handle the same as a Type R.
Old 11 February 2005, 07:40 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
Maybe that particular RA had three bags of cement in the boot???
Apart from that, it must be ALIENS!!!!
Or a different suspension setup, wheels, tyres etc...

Must say although ive never driven an RA i would have expected the handling to be the same as a Type R, maybe slightly different due to the R having a stiffer chassis and less weight over the rear.
Old 11 February 2005, 08:13 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Shimy

There is no way to set the diff to force a 50/50 torque split. The more you lock the diff, the more you reduce the 65/35 (ish) ratio, but the more you allow dynamic torque split relative to the split of resistance.

So by fully locking the diff, you could potentially end up with a 100/0 torque split.

--

Type RAs tend to be set-up better from the factory.. Usually less bump steer, etc.

They are also lighter which will affect the handling - usually positively.

I personally own a type r, which is the only car I have EVER owned for longer than 6 months, and I've owned it now for about 4 years.

I personally think they are stunning, and the fact that you can adapt the handling of the car to suit the environment / your mood, is the very reason I still haven't got bored of it.

Cheers

Simon
Old 11 February 2005, 08:42 PM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

It is a 400bhp skyline not a scooby m8!so iam sure with a bit of respect i can handle a type r
Old 11 February 2005, 08:46 PM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

what do you mean 100/0 split full rwd?how can this be thought it was supposed to make the car 50/50 with the dccd
Old 11 February 2005, 08:53 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

I assume he means for example if the front wheels are on ice then the torque that could be generated would be by the rear wheels that have the traction?
Old 11 February 2005, 09:17 PM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Dunno m8? But for example if it was wet weather and the diff lock was being used then what would be the point of it if it didnt create traction,surely aswell i have heard of people using the diff lock 4 launches for better traction?so can you please xplain?
Old 11 February 2005, 10:00 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

um surely when the centre diff is locked so front and rear axels can't rotate independantly, then the 'torque' split is effectively locked 65/35, as set by the gearing, u can't actually change the torque split just adjust the amount of slip in the centre diff.
When open and the axels can rotate independantly then obviously u can spin 100% of the power away through the axel with least grip..
Find a nice icy, ungritted hill one day/night, centre diff open, u go nowhere, lock it up a bit and away u go...
Old 11 February 2005, 10:33 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySport (SdB)
Shimy

There is no way to set the diff to force a 50/50 torque split. The more you lock the diff, the more you reduce the 65/35 (ish) ratio, but the more you allow dynamic torque split relative to the split of resistance.

So by fully locking the diff, you could potentially end up with a 100/0 torque split.

Cheers

Simon

Point taken Simon, you learn somthing new every day.

Cheers for setting me straight. Ive only had mine for 4 weeks so im still learning about them.

I must agree, they are an amazing drive and very versitile.

Cheers Shimy.

Quick Reply: type 'r' info please