Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Daily driving - Best way to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 09:08 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driving - Best way to accelerate

I've got a standard my02 bugeye wrx.
First turbo car i've had, and just wonder which is the best way to drive.
Either keeping the revs low and using max boost, changing at around 4,500, or driving like my old focus to the redline. Which in the real world is quicker?
I sometimes change up a gear and use the boost it seems a lot quicker accelerating then if i were in lower gear at high revs?
Old 10 March 2004, 02:41 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

What sort of roads are you talking about> If its windy back roads, I never really go over 6k ish RPM. Its more controllable when you have a lot of boost under your foot, in terms of conrtolling the balance of the car. Near the redline, you dont have much power to play with... Not explaining it very well, but I know what I mean

MB
Old 10 March 2004, 02:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On very windy single-track or minor B-roads, then I usually stay in 3rd all the way unless there's a long enough straight to justify 4th, or tight enough corners where 2nd is needed.

You can balance the car perfectly just with the throttle and bags of boost in 3rd.

With revs below 3,000 rpm boost takes an age to spool up the Turbo and bogs the car down. If you want fuel economy short-shift, keep the revs low and match with the correct gear.

As MB says, boost and power tail off at high rpm's anyway, so there's not much benefit going there in a std car. All depends on the road conditions, so you've just got to constantly adjust your style.

If it were a straight dual carraigeway, then keep your foot on the floor, but change up before the power tails off below the red-line.

Stefan

Last edited by ozzy; 10 March 2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10 March 2004, 03:54 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, thats what I meant

MB
Old 28 October 2011, 06:36 PM
Wonkey85
Scooby Regular

I've got a 51 bug turbo. And I used to drive it like my other cars right at the top end of the rev range. My advice is get a dyno run done (£50) and you can find out the exact time to change up I your giving it the beans. My limit is at 5750rpm after that the power just drops off and the car has to work harder to get back up there.
Old 29 October 2011, 12:23 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Keep it in the boost/torque, change gears as required to do so, simples
Old 31 March 2012, 10:28 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

what a stupid thread tbh drive the car and ull soon no when boost comes in and tails off
Old 08 April 2012, 12:28 PM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobwrx94import
what a stupid thread tbh drive the car and ull soon no when boost comes in and tails off
has a 12 year old hacked your account?
Old 13 April 2012, 12:41 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

"Daily driving" I tend to be in a high gear cruising along, so for example 50 I'll be in 4th pulling about 2,000 Rpm. If it goes to national limit then a bit of a squeeze up to 3000 rpm, then 5th. If you're not hurrying. This is smooth and doesn't upset passengers. You change almost as boost starts to build.

If you want maximum acceleration then drop a gear or two until you're past 3,000 rpm and rev the engine round the clock, but not to the redline. Really you may as well change up at 6,500 rpm rather than bounce the limiter at 7,000. Not much to be gained on the road. There's a saying in advanced driving: "Drive to 8/10ths of your ability, 9/10ths of the cars ability". Sadly, Scoobys are so capable that 9/10ths of their ability is about 17/10ths of most drivers! Anyway, save the last 500 revs for the track.

remember, 1st will do 30, 2nd will do 65ish, 3rd will do 90+ and 4th and 5th will lose you your licence with ease! yo ucan use the flexibilty of the engine for maximum acceleration if you wish.

In general, day to day road driving you're best off driving smoothly and with good anticipation. This means moderate acceleration. You don't really NEED full throttle in a Subaru 99% of the time, and it can annoy/shock other road users if you do give it the beans so it's best saved for quiet moments of private enjoyment, IMO.
Old 08 July 2013, 11:15 AM
headrush
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog
"Daily driving" I tend to be in a high gear cruising along, so for example 50 I'll be in 4th pulling about 2,000 Rpm. If it goes to national limit then a bit of a squeeze up to 3000 rpm, then 5th. If you're not hurrying. This is smooth and doesn't upset passengers. You change almost as boost starts to build.

If you want maximum acceleration then drop a gear or two until you're past 3,000 rpm and rev the engine round the clock, but not to the redline. Really you may as well change up at 6,500 rpm rather than bounce the limiter at 7,000. Not much to be gained on the road. There's a saying in advanced driving: "Drive to 8/10ths of your ability, 9/10ths of the cars ability". Sadly, Scoobys are so capable that 9/10ths of their ability is about 17/10ths of most drivers! Anyway, save the last 500 revs for the track.

remember, 1st will do 30, 2nd will do 65ish, 3rd will do 90+ and 4th and 5th will lose you your licence with ease! yo ucan use the flexibilty of the engine for maximum acceleration if you wish.

In general, day to day road driving you're best off driving smoothly and with good anticipation. This means moderate acceleration. You don't really NEED full throttle in a Subaru 99% of the time, and it can annoy/shock other road users if you do give it the beans so it's best saved for quiet moments of private enjoyment, IMO.
Very rational answer, 100% agree

I normally try to change gears at 3000 rpm for fuel economy when I'm driving to work or another daily situations. When driving around town I can even upshift at 2500 rpm and be smooth on the gas as I don't need the power.

When having some fun in the twisties, whith those turbo engines you want to be on the torque band, that's around 3500-5500 rpm if you're stock and going up to 6500 to keep on the tq zone when upshifting.

Well, that's my style at least. I was used to NA engines before I got my Scoobie too, and I noticed I had to change my habits a bit when driving it, but you'll get used very soon, you just have to learn to "feel the engine". Everyone has got it's own manners depending on your experience and the roads you use to drive. Just drive it and have fun (keeping it safe of course), it's all a matter of practice until you'll get one with your car ; )

*PS. Sorry, I didn't see it was such and old thread as it was on the first page of this forum, didn't want to bump an older thread >_<

Last edited by headrush; 08 July 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 24 October 2013, 05:21 PM
Matthew Gill
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a WRX newage I find it best to flirt with the rev limiter about 7200-7400 in 1st and 2nd as 3rd gear has such a long ratio. You have to utilise the early gears because there is no urgency late in 3rd, 4th and 5th. A TD04 running just 0.8-0.9 bar of boost shouldn't really be tailing off dramatically early doors.

I drove this way when my WRX had standard power and not many heavier, draggier, lagier STI's had a chance under 90mph.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:47 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

I just turn on antilag and drive like I want
Old 24 October 2013, 08:47 PM
RoyPinhey
Scooby Regular

And get about 8mpg for that matter