Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Transmission Faq

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2013, 03:25 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Faq

Not sure if it has been done before , but could be usefull as a sticky.... Was doing a research regards my tranny and found a very good thread so passing all that on here.

6 Speed Transmission Chart

Name:  TrannyDecoder-JDM6speed_zpsd414d6b2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  188.6 KB

5 Speed Transmission Chart

Name:  TrannyDecoder-EU5speed_zps9ea498d6.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  160.4 KB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Speed Codes

TY856W = standard code for a 6spd

The next letter represents the original market:

B = JDM
G = AUDM
H = USDM
N = UK/Europe/NZ

The next number represents the year it was released:

1 = MY01
2 = MY02
3 = MY03
4 = MY04
6 = MY05
7 = MY06
8 = MY07

The next letter represents the type of car the box came in, and the features of it (with a few exceptions**):

A,B or C = Viscous Centre - 4kgf (Standard STi)
K = DCCD, A.P. Suretrac Front Diff (DCCD STi - RA's)
J = DCCD, Helical LSD Front Diff (Spec C - only from MY05 Onwards though)

The exceptions to this are that the MY05 STi onwards was the only one where by the J represented that it had a helical front LSD. Also, the earlier boxes seem to have a code of there own, but this formula seems to apply for all the boxes from 2003 onwards.

Another note - some of the early STi RA and STi RA Spec C boxes had a 45:55split, and from MY06 onwards, all DCCD boxes had a 41:59 mechanical LSD Split, with DCCD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006+ STi Transmission information

There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of info out there about it and I am trying to compile a comprehensive resource on it for myself, and others who may find it useful in the future.
I will list what I have confirmed below, and if anyone can add some more helpful information then that would be fantastic.

-The 2006 STI tranny incorporates a new mechanical LS device which assumes the first 30% of locking tendency, with the electrical clutch covering only the remaining 70% - as opposed to previous models where the electrical clutch was responsible for the entire 0-100% (source: STI FFY below in this thread)

-The 2006 STi Tranny has a 1.1:1 Center Diff, meaning the front differential final drive is 3.90, and the rear R180 differential final drive is 3.54. This is speculated to have a better mechanical torque bias than the previous 3.90/3.90 setup for the 04-05. Also said to better match the weight distribution of the car, resulting in better balance, better turn-in, and less understeer than previous models. (This also means the 2006 STi Transmission can be swapped into any WRX without any modification to the stock WRX R160 rear differential.)

-Power split on the 2006 STi Tranny is 41/59, unlike previous years where the split was 35/65.

-The 2004 driveshaft (no personal experience with a 2005) are a large diameter, hollow design. The 2006 driveshaft is similar for the most part, but has a ~1 foot section at the beginning of the rear half that is much smaller in diameter, and appears to be solid. (added 8/26/06)

-The front axles on the 2006 use a revised ABS system which incorporates a geared ring on the axle itself. From the little I know so far, this means that the front axles will not fit onto an 02-05 Impreza. (If anyone has any more info on this matter, I dont know much about it so please help out here...) (added 8/26/06)

-The 2006 tranny has carbon coned synchros on 4th, 5th, and 6th gears to help deal with heat issues on previous models. (added 8/27/07 by cliff257 on iwsti)

-Not only are the outsides of the axles different, but the insides are too, and the axle seals are different as well which led to a leak on my car until I got the axle stub style seals to fit properly.

STi 6MT Swap into a WRX

Front Differentials:

02-07 WRX: open
02-07 STi: “SureTrac” LSD
05-07 STi Spec C: “Helical” LSD

Rear Differentials: R160, R180

These were originally used in the Datsun 510, 610 and other IRS Datsuns. The "R" stands for Fuji Heavy Industries. The R180 was used in the front axle of Datsun 4x4 trucks (720, etc). The number represents the ring gear size in millimeters.

R160 – 52lbs. WRX rear differential. It has a viscous LSD which is no better than an open differential since the unit is so tiny in this diff.
02-05 have a 3.54 gear ratio
06-07 have a 3.70 gear ratio
R160’s on 2.2L Legacy/Impreza’s have a 3.9 gear ratio

R180 – 64lbs. STi rear differential. It has a mechanical clutch type LSD.
04-05 R180’s have a 3.90 gear ratio
06-07 R180’s have a 3.54 gear ratio

Center Differentials:

02-07 WRX: Viscous coupling type
02-05 has a 1.1:1 gear ratio
06-07 has a 1:1 gear ratio
04-07 STi: DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential)
04-05 has a 1:1 gear ratio
06-07 has a 1.1:1 gear ratio

Do I need different front axles?

02-early 04 WRXs have female axles and need to use stubs that go inside the tranny. Late 04-07 WRXs use male ended axles that slide inside the front differential so there is no need for stubs. For the female axles, you need axle stubs, circlips, and seals to reuse the WRX axles (check out the seal differences link for part numbers). You can use the stubs from your 5MT. For the male ended axles, they just slide right into place with the correct seals and circlips. 04 STi front axles will work too.

Will my WRX clutch and flywheel work in a 6 speed?

-Yes. The diameter of the WRX flywheel is smaller (230mm compared to 240mm) than the STi flywheel. The bell housing on the 5speed is also smaller. There is less surface area with the 5speed compared to the 6speed but is not a huge difference. There are no issues with running a 5MT clutch and flywheel in a 6MT.

Will my WRX starter motor work in the 6MT?

-Yes. WRX and STi starter motors are the same part number.

What if I don’t have/use a DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) controller?

-The DCCD defaults to open mode which is a 35% front/65% rear power routing in 04-05 and 41/59 in 06-07. There isn’t anything “wrong” with this, but if you are running the R160 with the 3.90 Ring and Pinion the compromise is in an even shorter life of the differential since more power is being routed to the rear. This of course all depends on the driver as some have a knack for blowing parts out even at stock power levels. The options for a controller are: Spiider’s (DCCDPro.com), Neetronics.com, RocketRally.com…

Is there a strength difference between the WRX and STi drive shafts and axles?

Subaru’s use 2-piece drive shafts. The WRX drive shafts are 2.5” longer than the STi and they use a ball-joint whereas an STi driveshaft uses a universal joint which is stronger. The STi axles are stronger because of a larger diameter bar and beefier CV joints.

What are my options for doing a 6MT swap?-

There are really only 2 routes:

1) Cheaper route - feasible for most. This parts list includes:

• Tranny
• 6MT clutch fork
• Auto driveshaft or STi ds and enlarge the holes on the ds and yoke or switch the yoke on the R160 to the bigger R180 yoke if you can get one.
• Put 3.90 gears in your R160 Differential (if using an 06-07 tranny with an 02-05 R160 there is no need to change anything with the differential)
• Reuse your WRX axles
• STi shifter linkage
• 6MT tranny mount (5MT and 6MT mounts are different)
• DCCD controller (optional, but recommended)

2) Here’s the expensive but stronger way:

• Tranny
• 6MT clutch fork
• STi driveshaft
• R180 differential
• STi axles
• STi hubs
• STi knuckles
• STi Brembos (calipers, rotors, pads) technically you only need the rear
• STi strut assembly (05+ knuckles)
• STi shifter linkage
• 6MT tranny mount
• DCCD controller

List of Aftermarket DCCD Controllers

Spiiders DCCDPro
Inputs:
Internal Accellerometer
Throttle Position Sensor

Neetronics
Inputs:
Speed sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Brake
Handbrake

RalliSpec (OEM DCCD controller)

GEMS

MoTec

Rocket Rally + extra for various maps (uses a GEMS controller)

Prodrive (contact them for info)

Pectel (contained within their engine controllers)

IA Concepts (price/inputs/source unknown)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driveshaft seals

There are two different types of axle seals which apply to different model year axles, and I have listed them below.

Early 2004 Axle Seal Part Numbers (to be used with axle stubs / female axles):
Left: 806730041
Right: 806730042

Late 2004-Present Axle Seal Part Numbers (to be used with male axles):
Left: 806735230
Right: 806735240

Both seals have the same outer diameter and will fit into any transmission, however the inner diameter where it seals with the axle is 30mm for the old vs. 36mm for the new. This is because you will notice that on my 06 STi front axle, there is actually a step up where the axle gets significantly larger right before the green cv boot case.

I dont want to promise that a WRX or STi or certain model year will do what, but the info I have is that the quoted part numbers apply to WRX or STi build dates up until Aug 2003 (includes early 04 models). The latter numbers I listed apply to anything from then on for the STi (and possibly WRX too? not sure...)

And because it may also be helpful to those reading this thread, the axle stub and circlip part numbers are listed below. You need two of each, they are not side specific.

Axle Stub Part Number: 38415AA110
Circlip Part Number: 805329010

As i said, this is not my "hard" work , just copying info most of Nasioc...

Mantas
Old 20 June 2013, 03:43 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good list. I always use;

http://catherineandken.co.uk/sti/wrx.html

What's happened with the parts that have "•"
Old 20 June 2013, 05:25 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts