Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

6 speed gearbox into gc8

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2013, 09:44 PM
Titchwitch1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed gearbox into gc8

Hi, I know this will have been spoken about before but I'm a new member ! I'm fitting a 6 speed out of a 06 hawkeye into my 93 gc8 rally car. I have bought a complete set up inc hubs shafts etc. my first problem is my existing rims won't fit the later model hubs. As its a rally car I have lots of rims and don't want to swap them all. Can I change the half shafts or swop the ends over ? Is the diff cradle the same or is that different to ? Different lengths ? Thought this was going to be simple !!! Ha -- not !!!!
Dave
Old 16 May 2013, 02:04 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Titchwitch1
Hi, I know this will have been spoken about before but I'm a new member ! I'm fitting a 6 speed out of a 06 hawkeye into my 93 gc8 rally car. I have bought a complete set up inc hubs shafts etc. my first problem is my existing rims won't fit the later model hubs. As its a rally car I have lots of rims and don't want to swap them all. Can I change the half shafts or swop the ends over ? Is the diff cradle the same or is that different to ? Different lengths ? Thought this was going to be simple !!! Ha -- not !!!!
Dave
Your car will have 100 pcd for wheel studs on the hubs/rims, and the 6 speed will have 114 pcd studs for the hubs rims. So no way to fit that lot.

But there is no need to change the hubs and rims if you can find/use a 3.545 rear diff of the same size as the one you have now [ probably the R160 'small' rear diff ] You might need to have the LSD swapped over if you even have a rear LSD fitted.

There is no driveshaft combination that will let you use your original rear hubs and the later [ too wide anyway ] rear shafts. Nothing can be made to match without having custom parts machined up.

But it is unlikely that you'll break a rear diff, possibly a shaft, but that is easily fixed compared to trying to make all the new 06 stuff fit your rims.

Good luck David APi
Old 16 May 2013, 02:11 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

You could also sell hawk set up and buy your self nice 2002-2005 JDM 6 speed that uses 5x100 pattern and has shorter 5th and 6th gear that is perfect for rallying
Old 18 May 2013, 07:37 PM
Titchwitch1
Scooby Newbie

Problem is finding another one !!Hi David , what about the front shafts ? Can they be changed over on the ends or will they fit ? Also do I run the 6 speed clutch and flywheel or my lightened 5 speed set ? Been told I can run either . . Could maybe do with putting a paddle plate in as i know u sell them. Is there much difference in weight between the 2 flywheels ?
Many thanks

Dave

On 16 May 2013, at 14:04, "ScoobyNet" <do_not_reply@scoobynet.com> wrote:

Dear Titchwitch1,

APIDavid has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - 6 speed gearbox into gc8 - in the Drivetrain forum of ScoobyNet.

This thread is located at:
https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Titchwitch1)---
Dave
---End Quote---
Your car will have 100 pcd for wheel studs on the hubs/rims, and the 6 speed will have 114 pcd studs for the hubs rims. So no way to fit that lot.

But there is no need to change the hubs and rims if you can find/use a 3.545 rear diff of the same size as the one you have now [ probably the R160 'small' rear diff ] You might need to have the LSD swapped over if you even have a rear LSD fitted.

There is no driveshaft combination that will let you use your original rear hubs and the later [ too wide anyway ] rear shafts. Nothing can be made to match without having custom parts machined up.

But it is unlikely that you'll break a rear diff, possibly a shaft, but that is easily fixed compared to trying to make all the new 06 stuff fit your rims.

Good luck David APi

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
ScoobyNet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
https://www.scoobynet.com/subscripti...e421108ce5e9c5

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
https://www.scoobynet.com/subscripti...n&folderid=all
Old 18 May 2013, 08:42 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

The one you have its harder to find......i guess you could find one inside one week time and it will solve all your problems and you will have few quid left as yours is about 300 to 500 pound more expencive
Old 20 May 2013, 10:03 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 06 box uses 'one piece' front shafts. No use to you either [ to long etc. ] So use your originals again..,You will need early type front drive shaft seals for the box end and also 2 'stump shafts' that the driveshafts fit to.. The original 5 speed stumps don't match a 6 speed. The 6 speed pair are about £190.00 + VAT new from Subaru. the side seals are handed and are about £9.00 each + VAT.

Either clutch/ flywheel will fit. the 6 speed flywheel weighs circa 8 Kgs - the 5 speed [ assuming standard] could be 10.2 Kg's or 12.0 Kgs So the 6 speed is lighter. The 6 speed clutch has a 240 mm disc- whereas the 5 speed is either 225mm or 230mm. So there is more 'meat ' on the 6 speed version and no obvious weight penalty. If you have one, use it, I would...

David