2.0 Non Turbo Auto issues

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2013, 08:38 PM
MrB72
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 Non Turbo Auto issues

My first post so here goes.

Have been looking at a 2.0 GL Auto Wagon that has a bit of an issue whereby when in drive will run OK but then it will slow to 20MPH and lose power.

My understanding is that this is not Limp Mode, as the speed would be higher than 20MPH.

Am not sure if this is an Auto box issue or something to do with the engine?

The owner claims a mechanic friend has suggested MAF problem? My knowledge of MAFs would suggest this isn't right, as any MAF problem should throw the Engine Management Light.

Any help would be gratefully received. Hope to soon be an owner and regular contributor.

Chris

Last edited by MrB72; 05 April 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03 April 2013, 08:39 PM
MrB72
Scooby Newbie

Forgot to say that it is a P registered classic. The issue started recently. Has had new spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter recently also.

Last edited by MrB72; 05 April 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05 April 2013, 12:44 PM
MrB72
Scooby Newbie

24 views but no replies suggests noone has any ideas as to the cause?

Guess I'll leave this one be and look elsewhere as clearly going to have to do a lot of investigation of my own and that usually leads to lots of sensor replacement until you find the right one.
Old 05 April 2013, 01:12 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you done a Gearbox service? I.e drained and refilled the autobox fluid? And replace the strainer filter?
A lot of the Daihatsu owners who own the YRV Turbo which comes with an autobox as standard have had issues with autoboxes disengaging and the revs shooting up.
Also there was a Wheeler Dealer episode a few weeks back where a Porsche Boxster had issues with the autobox and a fluid and filter change cured the problem.
Ideally the Autobox fluid should be changed after so many years, just like you do with the Engine oil.
Not saying its an Autobox fault, although the system may have its own Autobox ECU which talks to both the sensors and the main engine ECU.
Old 06 April 2013, 06:07 PM
MrB72
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I don't own the vehicle as yet, am just looking at it. The owner hasn't had the gearbox serviced but then it doesn't appear to be slipping so am not sure if it is related to the box or not.

I think I am going to have to forget this one and maybe look out for another. This thread and the other in the general technical section have had well over 100 views between them, and yours is the only response. So clearly not a common fault and not something someone else has had to deal with. Leads to be believe it could turn into a money pit.

It's approx 100 miles from me and just gone out of MOT and Tax so I couldn't even drive it home.