Check Engine Light ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2002, 10:46 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello All

My impreza catalunya 1997 turbo has been performing poorly lately with symptoms of lack of boost and running a bit lean. So I took it to a main dealer and they told me the MAF has gone (this was indicated on the select monitor).
I am just wondering whether the check engine light is suppose to indicate this problem by being permanent lit on engine running ??
I currently have a new MAF on order under warranty but am I doing any damage driving my car ???
What does the ecu do on a MAF failure ??? Does it go into a limp home mode ??
Will the car sound different on a MAF failure ?? mine seems to do than when it was running normal.

Cheers

Gary.
Old 17 May 2002, 02:36 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Anyone ????
Old 17 May 2002, 05:15 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sometimes the MAF has failed "a little bit" and you can't really tell the difference, but damage can result none the less. If the MAF has been diagnosed as faulty then it's advisable not to drive your car until it's fixed. You will know if it's gone into "Limp Home Mode" because it eats fuel, won't rev above 4000rpm, won't boost above 0.5 bar and generally runs very rough....

Matt.
Old 19 May 2002, 10:59 AM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt.

I've been driving it for the last 3-weeks because I need my car for work. Told the dealer that it might cause engine damage .. but they said it would be ok until the part comes in.
I don't think it's in limp home mode because the car seems to go ok at 5K revs ...but below that it feels very lean and has very poor pick-up since the MAF sensor has been faulty. Prior to that it was running very well and quick. So I probably guess the fuelling is faulty because of the duff MAF ???

Gary
Old 19 May 2002, 11:27 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Personally, I wouldn't drive it because when MAF's break, they usually read lean. You could run the risk of blowing up your engine but if you are going to drive it, I would keep it below 3000 to try and minimise possible damage.

The other thing I would do is give it lots of short bursts of full throttle (at the previously stated low revs) which will make it run rich for a few seconds which should help offset your lean running....

Get it fixed ASAP!!!!

Matt