Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Air/fuel ratio meter

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 11:07 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Lumenition air/fuel ratio meter for my uk MY00 turbo. Just wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge on how i would go about connecting it up? From what i can gather, i can either use the existing lambda sensor, or an aftermarket senser.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 13 May 2002, 11:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Connect to the lambda signal wire at the ECU - Link ECU manual on MRT site has a wiring diagram It is B136 Blue plug can't remember the wire off hand on MY99/00 UK. What modifications on your car? Basically you may be looking at it illuminating the top light all the time and looking at disco lights the rest of the time. Did you want it to let you tune the car?

I don't sell Delta Dash even though I work with it and use the remapping software, but you may want to consider it since you can log AFR up to 20 times a second along with lots of other data.
Old 14 May 2002, 12:06 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Christ John!! You seem pretty clued up on this subject (just read your profile though, which kind of explains it). Thanks for your advice.
My MY00 is running a unichip, hks evc4 boost controller (at 1.2bar) hks FMIC, full decat exhaust, and a k&n cone filter. Do you think that my car will be running rich when on boost then? Spose it depends how its set-up though?! I'm just a bit paranoid about it leaning out and causing damage.

[Edited by Steve Fort - 5/14/2002 12:09:19 AM]
Old 14 May 2002, 12:20 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a sweet setup you have. It depends on what your Unichip mapper has done (and whether all your breathing mods were on when it was mapped if not a revisit might be in order), but most people mapping Scoobies in the UK seem to shoot for 9% CO which tends to be the top light on a lot of AFRs - certainly the lambda link. Peak power is theoretically 5.5% CO or thereabouts, peak torque a bit higher, but unless you have water injection to control the det adding fuel keeps the cylinders cool.

If you only want to check out that things are running correctly you can run a digital (not analogue - will burn out the lambda sensor) multimeter off the lambda signal. 850mV is about 5.5% CO, 870mV is about 7% CO, 890mV is about 9-10% CO. Most Scoobies run 910 - 930 mV which is unbelievably rich.

I take it your saw my earlier thread on building your own AFR (about £10 - LM3914N, two pots, 3 to 10 LEDs depending on how much disco you want). I mounted just three for 6,8,10% CO by the fog light switches in one of the blanking panels. That way you are not distracted by all the lower values.

Trouble is if you run Delta Dash with a piggyback like the Unichip the values will need to be adjusted to get the true values, and you would need to know what was altered at which parts of your map. A lot of the US guys are doing this on I-club as the Unichip has pretty much mopped up across there.

Your charge temps should be considerably cooler with the FMIC - I ran 18-19 PSI on the road with the standard turbo, intercooler and ECU and the charge temperatures in Scottish spring time were nice and cool - I turned it down to 17 PSI on the track and they were still low 40s.
Old 14 May 2002, 09:04 AM
mrkimpreza
Scooby Regular

John,

You run the remapping software of EcuTek ???
I though they only selled the remapping software to PE and that at PE you can get a custom remapping ?

If not, I'm interested too, at reasonable costs.
(I'm very much like DeltaDash)

Mark.
Old 14 May 2002, 05:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Contact them for info. I am the first to get it so far apart from PE.