Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Import box into a uk turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2012, 08:52 PM
Paul1973
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import box into a uk turbo

My gearbox has blown in my98 uk car my question is can I fit a import box along with the diff and shafts as I have been offered a very good deal if I remove them from the car that's being broken up
Old 12 November 2012, 02:43 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you fit the box and the diff it'll be fine BUT some Import boxes are rather lower geared than a UK car. So whilst it fits fine you may end up with a car that is revving its brains out at 80 mph up the motorway. Do a search on here for ratios against gearbox codes and see if the proposed box is similar.

Your final drive is 3.9 front / 3.5 rear and by trickery; is overall 3.9 [ don't ask, just believe ]

The JDM box could be 3.9 but with very short ratios - or it could be 4.1 or even 4.4

Be careful, but the answer to the original question is yes.

David APi
Old 25 November 2012, 06:45 PM
Paul1973
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your advice API David ,

I have now completed the job of doing a Jdm conversion , the replacement 752 box fitted ok I just had to change speedo to electronic and a couple of mounts were also different luckily I kept these when I stripped donor car , the rear diff was a simple swap apart from me having to change the rear diff cover as the two rear mounting studs were different , all shafts were a straight swap , the biggest job was undoing the refill plug on the rear diff I did this by applying a bit of heat and some Jack Frost spray whilst applying constant pressure with my ratchet and trolley jack ( worked a treat )
Car now drives great and nice and smooth , I also discovered why box gave up , there was no oil in gearbox or rear diff , I had only driven the car approx 100 miles since buying it :-(

A bigger job than first thought but still managed it single handed even the box lifted ok on my halfords trolley jack , I slowly got it to the right height by jacking then placing bricks jacking again then more bricks then it slid in place first time , took me half hour :-)