Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2012, 10:55 PM
phil84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed gearbox whining. NEED HELP

Evening all,

For all your in the know how....

Recently put gearbox in car I'm now re-shelled into. There is a whining noise coming from the rear of the gearbox where the prop goes into the back of the box.

I know I said whining but I am not sure if it is a bearing of some sought but it is quiet. Got it on the ramps and drove it but not too loud but definately not right you know.

Upon a test drive it is a increasingly louder the quicker you drive.

Forgot as well when we put it on the ramp only 3 wheels were spinning and I was even more confused

Any help would be much appreciated and I don't want to just change the gearbox for any other 5 speed tho. Have spares but need help

Cheers

Phil
Old 25 October 2012, 02:32 PM
wurlyvalve
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 wheels spinning. Have you ruled out the simple things like sticky brake calipers/handbrake? Might not be anything sinister. But could be.... but more diff than g/box.

It has been a few years since I was rebuilding these (5years I think), but I do have one or two memories of them.
If it is noisey with road speed and not engine speed or gear selected then that would suggest diffs/propshaft or output shaft. I recall that the transfer shaft that drives the propshaft often failed under high torque. This would be my prime suspicion as it runs on a couple of taper bearings. It is easy enough to get to, slip the rear casing off.

You should discount other things first though, like propshaft. No fun taking a gearbox apart when it is something else broken.

Cheers, all the best,
Glen.