Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Big ends gone - whats the damage ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2002, 11:10 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

It could be related to the oil filter.. unless you have been putting a genuine scooby one on..???

Dan
Old 12 May 2002, 11:16 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Yes, genuine filter every time. Last one was about 3000 miles ago. I know the oil flow can suffer if the strainer gets blocked, but the oil cap never needs to be opened between oil changes so I can't understand how any crap could have got in there to block it up. Never had any other problems with the engine in 20k miles - it has 70k on the clock.
Old 12 May 2002, 11:32 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Could be worth getting the oil pump changed anyway... dont think they are that expensive.... and it could save you alot of money in the long run.....

Think you can get the oil pressure checked against spec first though...

Dan
Old 13 May 2002, 01:41 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Subarus just do seem to destroy big ends, for no apparent reason. At least no reason anyone has been able to pinpoint to my knowledge. Ive heard of cars with 2K doin it, or 130K ( my legacy... is this a record for the longest lasting subaru engine before failure ? ), and anywhere in between.
Old 15 May 2002, 09:10 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Had my car checked out on Monday to find the following:

Oil switch was causing the light to stay on a bit when starting up. Has been cleaned up, seems OK so far. If it comes back then I'll need a new one.

Oil pressure was a bit higher than spec so wouldn't seem to be any problem with the pump.

Engine sound - completely normal. The tapping noise when cold is most likely the hydraulic valve lifters, nothing to worry about. No big end noises.

I had the oil and filter changed too, can notice the difference, maybe it was just time for a change. I don't reckon there's any way the oil will go the 7500 mile distance in the service schedule.

Needless to say I'm pleased I don't have to add my car to the list of those that have had a rebuild.

Cheers

Ken
Old 05 December 2002, 11:00 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Anyone had the big ends go on a MY95 due to oil pump failure ?

I'm beginning to fear the worst on my car, and am wondering how much it's likely to cost if that is the case. Can anyone give me some kind of a price range ?

I haven't been doing wacky speeds so don't think it's the usual big ends going after a run. Oil light has started to take a second or two to go out after starting over the last couple of weeks which is leading me to think it's the oil pump. I have had oil changes done twice every 7500 miles with a new filter and always with good oil, and the level never moves from one change to the next, no leaks etc.

I think the engine may have gone a little noisey from cold startup, but it's not clanging it's head off yet. There seems to be more vibration than there was last week when driving along. Having it looked at tomorrow, but it would help me greatly if I had an idea what I should be paying in advance.

If anyone has had a similar experience and could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Ken

Edited cos of a tyop

[Edited by Ken E - 5/12/2002 11:01:13 AM]