Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Squealing metal rubbing sound on full lock (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2012, 06:40 PM
mattisphatt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing metal rubbing sound on full lock (Video)

Hi guys & girls im new to this forum and new to owning a scoob.

I recently bought a 2005 wrx sti type uk ppp.

I bought it from a subaru dealer for peace of mind and the yrs warrany.

I got it back home from buying it and noticed it squealed and clunked as i pulled into my drive and though at first it might of been something on the tyres.

well a couple of day passed and it kept doing the same only once i had been on the motorway for 5-10 mins, so went to my local subaru dealer and said i wanted to get it check out. I then as im in the armed forces got deployed for 2 month. It was in the garage for 6 weeks while they tried to determine what it was and they ended up replacing the center diff ( have the recipts) under the warranty.

Well the day i got it back it was fine, the second day it was back to the same squealing only when properly warmed up when its cold its fine. I took it back obviously and the mechanic said quote ' Its supposed to do that' being an aircraft engineer i thought, no its not. I then phoned the Subaru dealer i bought it from and told him what had been done and he said yeah they do that all the time then said that the car isn't supposed to be turned that far and its a warning that im overdoing it and need to manoeuvre the car less violently and maybe turn in a couple of extra turns, and if i were to get any wrx sti type uk ppp that it would do exactly the same.

To be honest i think its total #@?= ...rubbish and would like a couple of peoples opinion on their cars to see if it is like it.

I have recorded a video (
) and have uploaded it to my Youtube channel can you advise me anyway shape or form if both scooby dealers are trying to fob me off.

Ps its DCCD model and does it in auto or full rear or any setting tbh

Cheers in advance

Matt
Old 11 August 2012, 08:37 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

Could it not just be the aux belts needing tightened? Mine may clunk a little bit at slow speeds when manoeuvring on full lock but I change the dccd setting and it goes? However, I had also heard that if it is noisy on full lock then just back the "lock" off a little.
Hope that helps, quite surprised no-one else more knowledgeable than me has commented, especially as you've posted a video showing the problem.
Regards
Rick
Old 02 September 2012, 12:41 AM
jazzyjay
Scooby Newbie

That sounds like tyre squeel? iv had this before on cars with fr/ tracking way out, the clunking thing doesnt sound good ,maybe a worn steering joint. i would go back + ask for a 4 wheel alignment to be done with before + after adjustment print out. any decent garage would check all suspension joints before hand and amend before doin alignment. hope u get sorted.
Old 27 September 2012, 07:56 PM
mattisphatt
Scooby Newbie

hey guys just and update took it back to the subaru dealer and its still not fixed yet its been 7 weeks an its had 2 centre diffs one rear diff and a complete gearbox examine app (£11k under warranty) still to no avail, the garage have had drivetrain experts in and are still baffled as to the noise. The next step is getting subaru UK's head engineer to see if he can work it out. but truth be told have had enough of waiting now, had the car for 22 weeks hasnt been right in all that time been in the garage for a total of 13 weeks so time for a replacement or my money back. will let you all know if i hear back what the cause was
Old 27 September 2012, 08:10 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

does Sound like aux drive belt slipping on the steering pump on the engine from the sound.
Old 27 September 2012, 08:13 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11k warranty work on a 8k car..................
Old 27 September 2012, 08:37 PM
mattisphatt
Scooby Newbie

i wish it was only the belt, and would like to think the subaru mech would of checked tht. the video doesnt really pick up that it sounds like a metal grinding sound rather than just a squeak plus you can feel the grinding wauble through the gearstick.

yeah 11k on a 9k car you would of thought they woulld of said ok we will write this off here is your money back at like 8k.

as it stands im either gonna get a same speck same mileage sti or my money back

Glad i got the years warranty!!