Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

My01 wrx power up

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2002, 08:59 PM
rich a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading Michael Knowling article on air filters which stated, 'subaru has moulded the My01 wrx's airflow meter into the top half of the airbox.This means that you can't simply ditch the airbox and bolt on a pod-style air induction kit'.

I was thinking of adding an induction kit next to squeeze a few more bhp and a faster spool up,but after reading this i'm now unsure,any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Old 09 May 2002, 07:16 AM
Ant_Man
Scooby Newbie

I've got an MY02 and I'm pretty sure the AFM is on the corrigated pipe running to the turbo. Not actually on the filter box itself.

I assume the MY01 would be the same?!? Anyone?!??!

Cheers
Antony
Old 09 May 2002, 08:34 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich

Don't do it! As you say, on my MY01 the MAF is moulded into the cover of the air filter box and not the flexible pipe (is it different on the Australian MY02?). People have found that by changing to a ram type inlet they get poor mid range power delivery, and the general concensus from previous threads was that the improved flow pattern was causing the MAF to under-read the airflow in the mid range resulting in underfueling.

Stick with an ITG panel filter (or equivalent). Also, if you've got the money to buy an improved inlet, spend it on a new uppipe or rear cat replacement pipe and you'll get more power for your £'s.

Duncan