Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2012, 02:11 PM
Sleiper STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT Clutch

SB4 XTSS Xtreme Org WRX STI EJ20 02-05 V8-9 JDM £629.00 565lb/ft
SB4-HDG6 HD 6pad sprung WRX STI EJ20 02-05 V8-9 JDM £549.00 660lb/ft

The two above clutches are what i am thinking of going for in my car, its a blob sti 6 speed with forged 2.5 going to be around the 500/500 mark, can anyone give me feedback of either i.e. driveability in traffic etc? cheers- Stu
Old 09 April 2012, 02:19 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I have got a mix of the two , the xtreme cover with the 6 pad plate . When it was new (about 2k ago) it wasn't too bad but now I am getting a pretty bad judder when pulling away and when coming down the gears and it absolutely doesn't like reversing . The pedal is pretty stiff too . I am getting it looked at this week but will probably end up replacing the plate with the organic one .
Having said all that , I still prefer it to the Exedy twin plate it replaced .
Old 09 April 2012, 02:27 PM
Sleiper STI
Scooby Regular

thanks mate do you reckon i'd be better goin with the XTSS then over the paddle? i would be doing a few launches a year max so not to bad on an organic i wouldnt of thought, you reckon your paddle is gone after only 2k is that what you meant?
Old 09 April 2012, 03:05 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

The problem with the paddle is it doesn't like being slipped . After a few days of doing the school run and reversing up the drive etc it starts to judder . Normally a good hard launch sorts it out for a week or two and once on the move it feels fine , however this time something is amiss . I am not totally convinced it's the clutch , it might be an engine or gearbox mount problem , I won't know until my mechanic has had a look but if I could wind back the clock I would have gone for the xtss . Fortunately all the parts are interchangeable so hopefully I will be able to replace just the plate . I am only running 450 / 450 so the xtss would have been a better choice for me.
Old 09 April 2012, 06:40 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

I have the sb4 xtss on my bug which is a daily drive, also have the streelite flywheel.

When I first had it replaced the pedal was very very stiff, stalled it atleast 2o times for the first couple of days, but the pedal does loosen up quite a bit.

Now its very much like stock, not too stiff at all, you get used to it very quickly, only thing I dont like aabout it is the pedal is feels the same all the way down.

There is a biting point, but when lifting the clutch the feel of the biting point isnt as good as the standard clutch, but agian its something that you will adjsut to naturally.

Overall I am very happy with this combo, and I dont get any juddering at all, it seemed to need a bit of abuse to bed in properly, at first I was very gentle, got bored and thought just go for it, which helped to bed it in nicely.

Sitting about in traffic inching forward isnt a problem at all. I managed to save on price by getting mine from the states.
Old 09 April 2012, 06:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had two ACT clutches in my car and both used the heavy duty pressure plate. One was a normal looking plate and it was rated to 550lbs and that was great even in slow traffic, the other used a 6 puck plate and that was a little harder on the pedal and in slow moving traffic you had to over rev the car a little so you didn't stall it. For a 500bhp car I wouldn't bother with a 6 puck plate as mine was running 550bhp and it was fine on the first type.
Old 13 April 2012, 02:18 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Another for SB4-HDSS + streetlite flywheel.

Nearly 2 years old and has never put a foot wrong, inc a fair few launches!

Can be a bit juddery in very heavy traffic (i mean very heavy) and a bit too bitey in the cold mornings but on the whole very very pleased with it.

Mel