Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

6MT, Quaife ATB center differential - interest?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2011, 01:37 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6MT, Quaife ATB center differential - interest?

Hello, i´m from Germany, have a Legacy/liberty H6 Spec B and have done any possible to the drivetrain - Quaife ATB in front and rear. But now i´m looking for a better option for the center differential. I wrote some lines to Quaife and they offered me to make a unique part for 2500-3500£ or if 10 buyers to find the price per part will be about 750£. The center diff is the one from the 6MT, it has the partnumber 38913AA111 or 38913AA112 and was built in the 2.0l Impreza STi (noDCCD) and the Liberty/Legacy H6 Spec B or 2.5l GT-B. I think it would be a nice upgrade or replacement for the original one. I hope, i will find some guys with the same interest like me.
Old 24 November 2011, 04:22 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

small update, just 7 Subi needed
If you don´t know which diff is used in your car, look at this link for Impreza or in this link (look at manual_transmission/mt_transfer_and_extension) for Legacy/Liberty.
Old 26 November 2011, 09:26 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

Now we are 4 .
But maybe let me explain how the Quaife will work, so that you can image why i like to have this one and don´t think about me "oh what for a freak".

The Quaife diff is torque sensing, so it "feels" the difference between front and rear before a rpm difference between front and rear will happen and give the torque to the end with the option to transfer the most of torque - this will happen dynamicly and instantly with free torque transfer from 25/75 to 75/25 (front/rear). The original Subaru visco unit have locked a split of 50/50, but to lock the center diff there is a rpm difference between front and rear necessary (the silicon oil needs heat) - so now you can image why you have wheelspin at the front if you start hard... and evry time torque tranfer is needed first there is a rpm difference between front/rear necessary - so the Subaru sysem is a reactive system. The Quaife one is proactive, it "feels" where the torque has to go and so no wheelspin will happen at front (or rear). Maybe now you will know why this would be a great (and maybe the best) upgrade or the 6MT without DCCD.

Ingmar
Old 28 November 2011, 09:02 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Might be worth posting on uklegacy forums...

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/

Sounds like a great piece of kit...
Old 18 March 2012, 01:20 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

Short update.
I´m still searching for enough interested people, but the worst thing is, that i lost my source for a worn out center diff. Maybe anyone from here has a old, worn out center diff from 6 MT STi in his cellar?
Old 27 March 2012, 01:18 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

Sample is on the way to Quaife. Time to give me a sign who is reayl interested in such center diff. It will fit to the center with Gearbox serial TY856WN*** (Partnumber of the center is 38913AA111 or 38913AA112).
Old 28 March 2012, 10:10 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

I found a vid with the PPG center on gravel (a torsen center too, but for the 5MT) have a look at the description at youtube. It seems that a torsen can be used sporty on gravel too .
vid with the PPG center

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2012, 02:21 PM
kleinerbastler
Scooby Newbie

I got news from Quaife. The prices for the center diff. until 5 buyers = 1100£ up 6 buyers = 950£ My offer to you - the shipping costs included. Please PM if you want one.