Sloppy gear stick in 95 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2012, 07:31 AM
Springs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy gear stick in 95 Classic

Hi Guys,

I've got a 95 Classic and compared to my other car it has a very sloppy gear stick.

Is there anything i can change to get it stiffer and better changes out of it?

I'm use to FWD cars so i know they have linkages to the gearbox but not sure on the impreza's as its all new to me..
Old 28 February 2012, 08:35 AM
rally colin
Scooby Regular

The gear linkage should have a small spring located between the the knuckle joint on the back of the gearbox and the washer plate that holds the gearstick steady bar. This spring will bias the gear stick to the 3rd 4th position in neutral. Ie the gearstick will have resistance to push across the gate into 1st from neutral. This spring will help when changing from 2nd to 3rd as it helps to guide the change smoothly across the gate and will help to stop you selecting or missing the intended gear.

I had a rally customer complaing of a sloppy gearstick and bad gear changing and by fitting the spring that he took off it has helped a great deal.

The later Impreza models do not have this spring as it is built into the gearbox.

I hope this helps
Old 28 February 2012, 06:30 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

I have also come across this. The Knuckle mentioned above has 2 plastic top hats which tend to wear and will cause the stick to be sloppy. The 2 that connect to the base of the gearstick can be changed but there are 2 others that are fixed into the knuckle gearbox side. I ground the top of the pin off and remade some Nylon bushes then put it back together and spot welded the pin. Perfect tight gearstick.