Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Legacy chargecooler onto MY 97 UK engine

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2002, 10:35 AM
Richard Olafsson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've bought a kit of parts from a Legacy to replace the air/air unit on my engine due to lack of air flow (engine isn't in a Scooby) with the air/water unit.
I saw some pictures of one fitted to a 22B with Autosportif badging but haven't been able to get any further info. I don't mind making up the extra brackets for the chargecooler, but would prefer a neat solution for keeping my later BOV.

So, has anybody else seen this done on a later engine before? I will be able to do it but there is no point reinventing he wheel if it has already been done successfully.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rich
http://www.ricola.co.uk
Old 03 May 2002, 02:58 AM
Homer Simpson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

GavinP has a Legacy Chargecooler on his car, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Had a look at your site, are you a glutton for punishment???

Good Luck
Old 03 May 2002, 08:39 AM
Richard Olafsson
Scooby Regular

I've been in contact with Gavin, he has been of some help but his engine is earlier, with the intake similar to the Legacy going behind the intake manifold rather than under it. The BOV is fitted from a small bore pipe just after the turbo (before intercooler) directly back into the intake, but mine fits form the intercooler back to the inlet via an extension pipe. It is only the BOV that really concerns me...

Rich
PS I love a challenge as you can see on my site!
PPS Can anybody estimate what power I should have with a UK MY97 engine, power steering and air con removed, K&N 57i filter and about 1 foot of exhaust looping back into a straight through muffler?
Old 03 May 2002, 03:04 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

I dont see why it should be a problem. It should be a pretty much bolt on affair, with only a longer pipe required from chargecooler to manifold. You could possibly add a takeoff to this pipe for your BOV. It would be easier than trying to weld an outlet onto the chargecooler, and far less risky.
Old 04 May 2002, 06:44 PM
Richard Olafsson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the idea, I think I will probably try that. I will just have to block the outlet in the turbo pipe for the old BOV.
Any idea who would make me a throttle body/chargecooler pipe with this extra connection?

Cheers,
Rich