Downpipes, manifolds, exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2002, 11:44 PM
DrDrink
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all,

This is quite a large post so bare with me, I'm new after all :-)

I have a sensibly modified 95 WRX

I have Apexi Power FC ECU, Greddy Profec B, Apexi Induction, Apexi BOV, Large bore jap exhaust, Strut braces, uprated suspension etc.

I still have front cat which I think I am gonna get rid of by fitting a downpipe, I am also thinking of getting a performance exhaust manifold.

I was gonna go for the jap stuff like HKS manifold and downpipe, but after coming on here it seems everyone is going for the UK based stuff, eg scoobysport, PE, and the like, Cost doesn't seem to be the reason as you can get the HKS items for same price and even less, so its either a patriotic thing or they perform better, whats are people's views on this. I went to the Power Engineering website and they just seem to have copied the design of the jap tuners manifold and then added about 40% extra cost.

Is a manifold worth getting as they are fairly pricey, would it compliment the mods I already have well ?, also what is the next stage of tune for my car considering the current mods ?, I would like to stay away from engine internals if poss :-)

By the way has n e 1 got a Hyper Muffler I think they look trick, just wondered how they performed and sound.

Thanks in advance

Artois
Old 01 May 2002, 12:06 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

dont take this as gosple, just my feelings.

93 wrx is my car.

It has the HKS Hyper drain pipe exhaust, this sound great,nice burble but not too loud or droning.

I then replaced the down pipe with the HKS one to keep it the same, this gave a goo improvemnet & I was impressed, I was then told that the hks unit still has a blanking plate where the wasegates exchaust come from, I check up it did, I then replaced the HKS DP for a 3 inch open neck DP from scoobysport, imho the difference between standard & HKS is less than HKS to SS, I then had the manifold ported angain this made some improvemnt, the turbo appears to sping up about 500 rpm earlier so I'm a happy bunny.
Old 01 May 2002, 10:13 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

I'm having a HKS manifold fitted soon, so I'll let you know if it's worth the high price.

Saw it yesterday and it's a gorgeous piece of kit. Shiny, beautiful welds, looks well engineered and of very high quality.

I've got rather a lot of mods, lots of HKS stuff and IMHO it's all mega quality gear. That's not to say our UK stuff isn't good, because a lot of it is excellent, (I have a Jap Innovations exhaust and it's awesome) guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Cheers

Rich
Rich
Old 01 May 2002, 06:37 PM
DrDrink
Scooby Newbie

hey rich, have u got a HKS downpipe ?
what gains did u get ?

I've heard that the piping that connects to the turbo is narrower than some uk downpipes, don't know whether this makes a difference to overall gas flow.

Oh yeah, let me know how you get on with the HKS manifod.

Dr