Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECUTEK - why use anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2002, 12:55 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have just had my first experience of OEM ECU modification by EcuTek. It is on a Forester MY00 S Turbo ECU (first one they have tackled) and the results are excellent.
Mr. Done and co. have certainly done a huge amount of work understanding how these ECU's work and written two very impressive software applications to 1) read the dynamic engine data coming into the ECU (Delta Dash) and 2) to modify the code and re-map the ECU (One Scoobynet regular is about to trial this in the public domain). Due to the huge range of modifications possible, (to all ECU parameters, boost, timing, fueling rev. limit etc.etc.) I cannot see the need to use an after market ECU.
The Ecutek team are very accomodating and are very knowledgable on Subaru Turbo engine modifications.
This is just Part 1 of the Forester modifications, Part 2 is to follow shortly, I will let you all know the outcome.
Old 30 April 2002, 01:51 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Question

er.. come again
are you saying that its a piggy back chip or they remap the OEM ECU?
how much is it ?
Old 30 April 2002, 01:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original ECU is remapped through the diagnostic port. Don't even have to lift the carpet or use a screwdriver and it is such a superior solution to this piggyback stuff I have been building recently.

www.ecutek.co.uk

[Edited by john banks - 4/30/2002 1:58:34 PM]
Old 30 April 2002, 05:41 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

John is correct. Basically you retain your original ECU and all of it's associated functionality, fuel cut, engine check, idle stabilisation, immobilizer, etc.. It is just re-programmed to your settings if you desire or to a standard improved map. It's the best way to do it and no one can detect the change (apart from Ecutek) and of course the performance improvement!
No one else (other than Subaru) can do this to best of my knowledge.
Old 30 April 2002, 05:48 PM
manny
Scooby Regular

Tek 2 for me and it is excellent, car pulls like a train after 4K revs, this is how all scoobs should have left the factory IMHO.

Ian.
Old 30 April 2002, 06:05 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

Off to Ecutek and Power Engineerings rolling road for Part 2 on Friday. This is a special, custom map for the Forester ECU.
Should be catching the Impreza's up soon!
Old 30 April 2002, 06:07 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

There is probably a good reason why they didn't

MB (being contraversial)

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2002, 07:39 PM
Pieman2
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

Does this mean PE could custom remap my MY00 PPP ECU to accomodate a few extra mods when I do them?

Pie.
Old 30 April 2002, 07:43 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pie

You'd be better off flogging your PPP ECU for a pile of cash and then buying an off the shelf Tek2/3 for a slightly smaller pile of cash.
Old 30 April 2002, 07:47 PM
Pieman2
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thought TEK2 was 'only' similar to PPP performance.
What is TEK3 then?
Old 30 April 2002, 07:54 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Tek 3 is the one you want Pieman. It's a custom map to suit your needs, depending on your mods.

Cheers,

Wrexy
Old 30 April 2002, 07:55 PM
Pieman2
Scooby Regular

Cool

Now I like the sound of that!
Pie.
Old 30 April 2002, 08:05 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Hi,
Can Ecutek reprogram STi7 ECU ? is the safest cheapest ??
Can TEK3 fit an STi7 ?
APEXI some thing or Unichip ?

whats the cost's? up? downs? please not too technical
I don't wish to ever play with setting just turn the key and go

PPP is the way to go as long as it comes out before my warrenty ends
Old 30 April 2002, 08:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Not for the STi 7 yet.

Safety and results will always be related to the map and the mapper rather more than the device used.

Of course the Tek 3 will cost more - more time required, only setup at PE on their dyno at present, VAT required etc etc.

I am getting a Tek 3 with a new turbo in a few weeks and will of course update y'all on results.

Prior to this I will be running a standard ECU with a Dawes and fuel cut lifter with the new turbo. I will have before and after Delta Dash logs, don't know about dyno runs.

I expect there will be favourable improvements at the same boost because of timing and fuelling improvements. At present my car is overly rich and the ignition considerably more retarded than it needs to be.

I have messed about with various bolt ons over the last several months to try and bend fuelling/timing/boost to my requirements with varying success. Some of the boost devices I have discussed on here, the ones for timing and fuelling I have not as they are potentially very dangerous indeed and I have not logged them fully.

Basically I dropped the MAF voltage by 5-10% and the car picked up substantially better over 3000 RPM - it felt a bit slower below. I was not happy to do any more at the time as I could not log timing, but I believe timing will have advanced, certainly the fuelling was leaner but still over 9% CO - to me this is a lot safer than running a small turbo well beyond what it can run. I ran -5% MAF at Knockhill at 2 PSI less than I usually run on the road and it was just as quick but without the silly intake temps. On the road I am back to higher boost but no MAF mod because of the loss below 3000RPM - it is probably slightly (but not dangerously) lean.

Basically I am fed up of trying to piggyback to the ECU and have a poor man's very crude remap and the results of modifying the MAF sensor across the range show just how you need to be able to do it properly by RPM and load, hence why I am going for a Tek 3. To adjust timing properly you would need a proper RPM/load map and adjust the cam position sensor signal. One error in this, on bad solder joint and you fire at completely the wrong time. With boost mods it is much more forgiving until you mess with fuel cut and then you need to be certain what is going on.
Old 30 April 2002, 08:34 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Is the Tek3 mappable for a wrx 01?
Old 30 April 2002, 08:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Not yet.
Old 30 April 2002, 08:41 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

John,

Have you decided on what turbo yet? Make sure you post the Delta Dash logs on here before the Tek 3 and after. I may toss out all my gear and follow in your foot steps. Especially if it's safer.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 30 April 2002, 08:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'll release full details on the turbo when I can WREXY.

I want it to be able to run cooler and safer even on track, but not have clutch slipping gearbox eating insurance unfriendly power. So I will very possibly be running less boost on a bigger turbo, but hopefully a lot more advance and put lots of cool air in.
Old 30 April 2002, 08:44 PM
Evildead
Scooby Regular

They told me they're working hard on the 2002 ECU right now, one can assume the 01 is done..or? maybe the same as 02?
Old 30 April 2002, 08:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Stephen has been working hard on DeltaDash for the MY02 US guys I believe from their threads. I'm sure they have some nice new age ECU solutions cooking
Old 30 April 2002, 08:57 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Question

So what do we think about the reliability and safety of the Tek2 map then? I know some PE modded cars had some fairly well publicised deaths a while ago; I assume that EcuTek's work is totally seperate to anything that PE have produced in the past?

I'm not looking to be controversial but would like to know what people think before I spend my money. I would be looking to run one with a lambda and knock link as well as the usual uprated intercooler pipework anyway.
Old 30 April 2002, 09:07 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Simon,

One difference is that before, with the previous PE kits the customer could not check what was going on with his engine, sensors, temps ,etc, unless he had a lambda, knocklink etc. Now with the Delta Dash, that is if you purchase one, you can keep your eye on everything and catch a fault before it becomes expensive. So if you were to get a Tek 2 for example and you purchased the Delta Dash too, you would be able to monitor and catch a situation, like I did with a failing MAF. I still have a stock ECU.

So far no problems with the Ecu Tek ECUs, from what I've read here.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 4/30/2002 9:08:53 PM]
Old 30 April 2002, 09:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Reliability from any mod is a very difficult question to answer. There are clear disagreements on causes of MAF failure, big end bearing failure to name only two. Theories will abound, and everyone will have their favourite one. The only way to completely avoid risk is to run a warranted car with factory approved modifications only. Otherwise a MAF or big end or any other failure could happen at any time, but more importantly you pay for it. Unless you did a field trial for a total of millions of miles for several years across many cars you would struggle to show a statistically significant difference in failure rates between modifications, and even then the controls would be suspect. So you are left with opinion.

This is my opinion: I like the Ecutek remaps because they use the original ECU with its arguably better knock correction and tolerance of lower octane than many aftermarket ECUs. They retain a low octane map and have quite a lot of ability to adjust, as well as high resolution maps and a huge amount of R&D behind them as would be expected of an OEM ECU. They still use the MAF sensor with all its associated cons AND pros. They are well priced when you consider a Tek 2 is now cheaper than a Superchip, and many times safer for multiple reasons.

I don't believe a Dawes is unsafe if set correctly. But an Ecutek map has a heck of a lot more safety features behind it - it can lower the boost in response to knock or a check engine condition. It can taper boost at high RPM. It can log a massive amount of information very quickly.

At the end of the day it is the map that goes in it. Notably Stephen is getting similar airflow to myself with more advance, but using considerably less boost to achieve it, and netting considerably more power and torque. I wonder whose in-cylinder temps are lower and whose turbo would last longest?

There is a background rate of engine failure on unmodded and modded cars. With incomplete information you need to look into it and find out for yourself what you perceive the risk/benefit to be. If a failure occurs on a remapped car, causation is difficult to establish. And then the opinions come out again. Everyone has one me included

[Edited by john banks - 4/30/2002 9:27:25 PM]
Old 30 April 2002, 09:43 PM
MattRus
Scooby Regular

I concur with John. Ecutek maps are also deliberatly on the conservative side (boost, fuel, ignition etc.) so one still has a high margin for error, albeit less than OEM in some cases. (mod's permitting)
They (Ecutek) and Stephen in particular appear to have gone to great lengths to make a unique, productive and reliable product.
Not that I am a fan or anything!!
I will let you know after the next stage of the re-mapping process.
Old 30 April 2002, 10:07 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bah ! Conservative tuning I'll wave as I rattle past you !!

PS If you see me sitting at the side of the road, gimmi a tow home will you
Old 30 April 2002, 10:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

No because all you will be doing is deciding between 28 and 29 PSI
Old 30 April 2002, 11:19 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree that there will always be a slight risk whenever you start mucking about with the car and move away from the manufacturers set up. Hopefully any problems that may arise will be highlighted through this board although I do get the feeling that the EcuTek remapped ECUs will probably be/are a relatively safe mod given, as you say, that they are based on the OEM ECU with it's built in correction and safety factors.

PS. Any chance one of you chaps could have a go at answering my completely unrelated dump valve question here please?: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=91747
Old 01 May 2002, 03:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Just had a look at the Power Engineering website - a proper site it is too!

Am I stuffed to get a mapped ECU on my STi V then? Ecutek seems to save a good few hundred quid compared to a long yearned for Link, but it won't suit an STi V I read?

Are there solutions - it runs so rich and has had a few mods, so it's about time i did it!

D
Old 01 May 2002, 06:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Give it time for the STi 5/6/P1/new age
Old 01 May 2002, 10:59 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Why not an Sti V/VI?

Trout

Quick Reply: ECUTEK - why use anything else?