Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hi/Lo ratio lever popping out

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2011, 09:58 AM
mike_kann
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi/Lo ratio lever popping out

Hi - first post on these forums so hello. Basically I've got a T reg Sport Waggon, with the standard hi/lo ratio lever. The lever decided that it is now not going to stay put, popping out and meaning you either grind the gears when it pops back in, or in some cases you lose power altogether as it stays out. I've worked out that it happens going down hills and when slowing down under engine braking - i.e. when there is torque being transmitted back through the drive shafts and there is higher power at the wheels than at the engine.

I started to drop the box, got most of the way through and then saw the lever had popped up, so rigged the engine to drive it, saw the wheels going round again and thought that that had been the problem soput the box back in - stupid... whilst I was fishing around, nothing looked untoward externally, but then I'm not that familiar with what it SHOULD look like. So my question is, is the box shagged, or do you think it will be something else? Unfortunately what with a hi/lo ratio not being a common feature on cars, most mechanics don't know! So I'm hoping you guys will!

Cheers,
Mike