Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Act clutch advise please

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2011, 06:10 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Act clutch advise please

I need a new clutch and was going to go for the Act sb4 xtss and streetlite flywheel, but every one I have seen is for 04> cars only.

My first question is, is there a difference between all the 6 speed boxes?

I have a bug sti (jdm) with 6 speed box. Will this clutch fit.

Further to this, all the reading I have done seems to be positive, apart from a few niggles. Eg, I read a thread on a yank forum in which people cant change gear at high rpm.

Has anybody here experienced the same? I also read the chance of gearbox damage is greater because of the increas in clamp load?

Now Im reading light flywheels are crap also? The streetlite is 6 or 7 kg i think.

Ive also read that people find the oem "throw out bearing" better, whatever that is?

I would like a fast road car, advise please
Old 03 December 2011, 06:32 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

i have this clutch and flywheel in my 2001 bugeye box, its stiffer than oem on the peddle but not so much its a problem in traffic, haven't had any issues with it shifting flat out at 8k drag racing. It held 460ftlb for 12 months and is currently holding 475ftlbs just fine including quite a few full bore launches. Assuming throw out bearing is what we call a release bearing, cant comment on that broke mine putting the box in and had to use a Subaru one
Old 04 December 2011, 09:47 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

If it is the sprung 6 puck one then it is exactly the same set up I have in my Hawk STI running 450 bhp. It was a bit juddery for the first few hundred miles but now it is fine although the pedal is quite heavy.
I fitted mine to replace an Exedy twin plate and I wouldn't go back.
Old 04 December 2011, 09:50 AM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

its not the 6 puck the op is referring to
Old 04 December 2011, 07:00 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, it isnt the puck clutch I was thinking of, the engine in my car is still standard (money keeps getting spent on maintanance), but I hope to have the car around 400bhp this time next year.

I was thinking of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACT-STREET...item3cbe5cdba2

and flywheel, is this the correct one for my car, I havent had a reply from the seller, and would like to order next week, hopefully get it fitted before xmas and start enjoying my car again.
Old 05 December 2011, 11:02 AM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

Originally Posted by BugSti Malone
Thanks for the replies guys, it isnt the puck clutch I was thinking of, the engine in my car is still standard (money keeps getting spent on maintanance), but I hope to have the car around 400bhp this time next year.

I was thinking of this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACT-STREET...item3cbe5cdba2

and flywheel, is this the correct one for my car, I havent had a reply from the seller, and would like to order next week, hopefully get it fitted before xmas and start enjoying my car again.
The SB4 XTSS clutch is rated to 576 lb-ft of torque so will have no probs holding your power.

I've had one in my car for 6 months now, it is a very good clutch for the price. Albeit a bit 'bitey' but you get used to it. When my car is mapped, hoping for 600hp ish so it's rated to hold considering the torque would be 500ish.
Old 07 December 2011, 02:49 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

cheers guys

I have ordered both the clutch and flywheel, will post up what I think of it once it has bedded in.

Im also going to be using the oem release baring as on the yank forums the ACT one is supposed to be noisey.

Does anybody know how much clutch fluid the bug takes, and how to sort a sloppy gear lever, might aswell do those at the same time?

thnks again guys.

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2011, 09:13 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Old 12 December 2011, 08:38 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

SB4 XTSS is what i have in my car at the moment. Its a decent clutch, full sprung street disc with extreme pressure plate. Not bad on the peddle at all, just a tad bit noisy.

My mate has a 4 pad unsprung ACT clutch & trust me its horrible & bites like biatch!
Old 13 December 2011, 11:27 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

We are an ACT dealer and have been selling their clutches for years now. They are highly relaible and, unlike many other clutch kits on the market, the torque rating they claim is the torque rating the clutch is capable of handling
Old 13 December 2011, 12:14 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bren@apex
We are an ACT dealer and have been selling their clutches for years now. They are highly relaible and, unlike many other clutch kits on the market, the torque rating they claim is the torque rating the clutch is capable of handling
Out of curiousity Bren, what is your price for the SB4 XTSS?
Old 13 December 2011, 02:19 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

£599 inc vat.
Old 13 December 2011, 02:38 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

How comes in the states its way cheaper to buy? I payed £400 with shipping for mine.
Old 13 December 2011, 02:49 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C
How comes in the states its way cheaper to buy? I payed £400 with shipping for mine.
Same, but you already know that as you advised me
Old 13 December 2011, 02:53 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TH3_5T1G
Same, but you already know that as you advised me
The non commercial value, how could i forget
Old 13 December 2011, 04:16 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

You said it yourself, tax evasion is why you paid less.

The Ebay link price comes in at £500 shipped. Plus 4.5% import duty, plus 20% vat = £627. Theres also a high chance of it being passed onto Parcel Force for UK handling and theyll then charge another £20 or so for customs clearance.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:46 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bren@apex
You said it yourself, tax evasion is why you paid less.

The Ebay link price comes in at £500 shipped. Plus 4.5% import duty, plus 20% vat = £627. Theres also a high chance of it being passed onto Parcel Force for UK handling and theyll then charge another £20 or so for customs clearance.
To be honest Bren, had i known you sold the ACT clutches in the first place for that price i would have purchased from you in favour over the Ebay one simply due to import duty (if), handling charges and incase something was wrong/damaged etc

You should make it known in the traders announcements. List torque rating and price and i'm sure many will take note of the cost vs the twin plates which are rated to just less torque than the SB4 XTSS

Those already using them i sure will chime in on how good the clutches are too and may buy them from you in the future should theirs wear out
Old 13 December 2011, 05:14 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TH3_5T1G
To be honest Bren, had i known you sold the ACT clutches in the first place for that price i would have purchased from you in favour over the Ebay one simply due to import duty (if), handling charges and incase something was wrong/damaged etc

You should make it known in the traders announcements. List torque rating and price and i'm sure many will take note of the cost vs the twin plates which are rated to just less torque than the SB4 XTSS

Those already using them i sure will chime in on how good the clutches are too and may buy them from you in the future should theirs wear out
I agree aswell. Not many people selling them. I know funky power sell them at over £800 i think.
Old 13 December 2011, 05:35 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Wish I had known you sold them Bren . My car was off the road for 2 weeks while I waited for one from the States .
I will know where to go next time .
Old 05 March 2012, 10:21 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Finally had both the clutch and flywheel fitted, along with some whiteline bushes to stop the box moving around, I paid £700 for both the clutch and Streetlite flywheel including shipping and import taxes.

The clutch has been on a few days now, at first the pedal was very very stiff, stalled about 20 times on thw way home, but it now feels as though everything is settling in and the pedal isnt anywhere near as stiff now.

Gear changes are also getting better, I think the bigger the cog the easier it is at the moment, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th feel very smooth and slick, 1st and 2nd are getting better too.

As Im getting used to it I am starting to quite like this clutch, the only thing is though, there doesnt seem to be a biting point

Im very used to feeling the biting point, I think I drive on instinct rather than thinking about every move, and it does feel a bit weird, I know my gear changes are not as smooth as they used to be, is this a characteristic Im going to have to live with or will the biting point return?

The car does start moving as soon as I start lifting the clutch.