Gearbox whine when engaging gear

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2011, 02:09 PM
Marc_P
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox whine when engaging gear

Hi Guys,

Sorry that my first post is asking for help, but I have spent about 2 days searching the forum with no luck as I can't find anyone describe the same problem as mine.

Anyway, I bought my first Impreza about 2 weeks ago and have been loving it, hoever, I have an issue that didn't show up on the test drive, for reference it's a 2001 Classic UK car with 72k on the clock, so not that high of a mileaged car.

The problem begins when the gearbox is up to temp, but the longer I drive the louder the noise appears to be, the noise happens when I'm changing gear(most notably 4th to 5th and Vice versa) but does happen changing into all the other gears bar 1st. The noise can only be described as a similar whine to trying to put it in reverse while going forward and the faster your going the louder it is, once it's in gear the noise goes, however, if you listen very carefully you can just about still hear it when you let off and it's in gear but you really have to concentrate and above 45mph the road noise drowns it out so it doesn't bother me there. There is another way of getting the sound though, if it's in 5th or neutral and you pull the gearstick to the right, then the noise comes back, but as soon as you let go of the gearstick it goes away.

I know the car needs a new release bearing and I have already ordered an Exedy clutch kit and 4 litres of Castrol 75-90 gearbox oil, however, gearbox oil level appears to be okay.

Any input onto what could be causing it really would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marc
Old 17 November 2011, 09:44 PM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tricky - when the box is out check the main transfer case bearing ( the big one at the back it takes a lot of load and can make a right racket
iain